cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long is too long to be extended

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
We boondock for the majority of our trips.
Get into some tricky areas where we have to keep the trailer from hitting the back of the rv.
Didn't have a choice when I got the trailer otherwise i would have gone V nose and extended tongue.
I added an extended hitch and it helped a lot
I want to get one of these multi hitches for the truck and wondered if putting the extended hitch into this other hitch might create a safety issue.
Trailer fully loaded is about 4600# and I have 400# tongue weight
Adjustable hitch

20190915_1421331 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
17 REPLIES 17

blt2ski
Said formula is ok, but from my experience, it falls way short of what is real. IIRC overhang/wheelbase times hitch weight equals amount removed.
Issue with formula, is it does not take into account the frame from being initially rail high, to later depending on load, to tail low. Reality, is the amount removed initially is less, way less in some cases, than formula. Then it gets closer as more hitch weight is added, eventually, the formula is guessing too low, as you get closer to bottoming out the suspension.
It also does not take into account the rear spring rating, or stiffness. I switched from 6400 lb springs, to 8400 lb springs on my 96 crew cab, went from pulling a bit over 400 lbs off FA, to 300 lbs, with 1500 lbs of hitch weight.
My experience with said formula is t bcc at it gives you an idea, but reality, it is probably not correct enough for many of us!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
In Oz many shortens the length of insert in tow bar as the longer the length from ball to center of rear axle the greater the lift of front of vehicle making steering light. We have many crashes where trailer sway overturned both Vehicle and trailer., not a good idea. I have seen mathematical formulas for how much weight is removed but donโ€™t know where to find at the moment.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Lengthen the tongue.

See the Australian off-road trailers with their excessively long tonguesโ€ฆ

You can use a WD hitch if you lengthen the hitch and this will negate some of the stresses, but when you go off road you need to remove the springs as they are not meant to handle big dips in the road. These put a lot of spring tension on the system and can bend the trailer frame or do other damage.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
People lengthen trailer tongues all the time, it's much preferred when possible over an extended hitch, from a towing perspective. It will make backing up easier too.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.visualsc.com/hitch_calc.htm

Here is a link with a whole bunch of info.

Keep in mind that 11 - 12" between the receiver and ball is typically used to judge capacity.

blt2ski
The issue with an extended ball, is you still have 3.5' from ball to trails front. If you extend it say a foot, you now have 4.5'.
A little bit of additional hitch weight. A trailer that tows easier, as like a truck with a longer WB, longer distance from ball to axles is smoother.
As far as an accident...ANY modification, changing brands tread pattern of tires could cause an insurance issue per say! Not that the tire issue will. I had a local trailer manufacture adjust the hitch after having issues noted above.
Add length to.hitch in your circumstance. Their are times, additional length in the ball mount is best too!
Marty

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of modifying the trailer and know someone who could do it
I hate cutting up a perfectly good trailer lol.
Not sure what would happen if an accident occurred and the insurance company found the modification though
I was wondering if there was a calculation for the length vs tongue weight.
Maybe I'm over thinking this.
If the receiver is rated for 500# tongue then a standard hitch with my 400# tongue weight would be 400#
If I extend it 12" do I still have 400# at the receiver or might it be 500# now?

blt2ski
From doing a hitch ball extension vs literally extending the trailer hitch, I'll take the trailer hitch extension. Then and only then, is one able to truly Jack knife a trailer in tight situations.
It is pricier to do, need an excellent welder etc to Make sure it's done correctly.
Not asked by OP about this option,,,,

Marty

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Advice about hitch extensions will go from โ€œnever, youโ€™ll kill someoneโ€ to โ€œyouโ€™re fineโ€ on here.
My 2c is the weakest potential link in hitch extensions is the larger bending moment it puts on the receiver.
From a practical standpoint, I run effectively a 2โ€™ extension on my OE 2007 Dodge hitch. Class IV I believe, with around 6-800lbs tongue weight and 6000lb trailer. Thousands of miles doing this with no ill effects and no bent receiver.
Just for comparison.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Any thought to having a fabricator cut off the tongue and building a newer longer one?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I use an adjustable hitch very similar to the one you linked in conjunction with an APEX 8" hitch extension on the MH and just the adjustable hitch on the truck. The 8" extension gives me piece of mind that I won't hit the back of the MH and is still rated at 500lbs/5000lbs..

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
carringb wrote:
It probably has some sort of warning about using your own hitch shank. It probably could be done, if you calculate out the larger moment from extended the ball distance.

But why not just use an adjustable shank-mount designed for this purpose? They even have a torsion-cushion version:

https://genyhitch.com

Standard:

Torsion:

deleted.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
It probably has some sort of warning about using your own hitch shank. It probably could be done, if you calculate out the larger moment from extended the ball distance.

But why not just use an adjustable shank-mount designed for this purpose? They even have a torsion-cushion version:

https://genyhitch.com

Standard:

What you are showing is not an extension. It is a ball hight adjuster. I have one on my truck to level this out.
Torsion:

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I want the multi hitch for the truck since I use both the 2" and 2 5/16" ball.
Just wondering if I could use it in addition to my other hitch to extend further on the rv.
I have hit the ladder on the back of the rv.
I have had the top front edge of the trailer come very close to hitting the rv
It doesn't take much of an angle when pulling out of a site onto the road to get the trailer too close for comfort