cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase water flow AFTER the filters?

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I recently installed a RVwaterfilterstore.com filter system. The filter sequence is: a 1 micron sediment filter, a .5 micron carbon filter and the final one is a metal trap canister. The campground I permanently camp at has strong well water pressure (65 psi) and great flow. After I connected the filter system the water barely flows from the hose and all the fixtures in the camper have less than ideal water pressure.

So, I would like to keep the filtration system but need an increase in water flow after the filter system. How can this be achieved?

dh
43 REPLIES 43

jefjam7812
Explorer
Explorer
Install more powerful moter

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"I probably reduced the effectiveness of eliminating the sulfur smell by removing the metal trap filter, but at least the shower can be used now."

In my experience, which may not apply to where you are, sulfur smell and stink was best removed by a carbon filter...and the further upstream, the better.

FWIW, in years gone by, I've used a 20 micron upstream filter in series with a 10 micron...and our water tested fine out of the spigot. Theoretically, it won't make a flow difference (that's what the filter makers advertise anyway) but I don't believe you need three relatively fine filters in series. I currently use a 5 (not 0.5, but 5) micron at the house and it's all good.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:

Interesting concept. What micron and style filters did you use? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

don't remember specifics, think it was a spun fiber one first to catch dirt, followed by a "good" (don't remember specs) one to remove bacteria and lead/etc.
I made my "connection" with PVC piping/fittings. as I recall, incoming water came into the PVC "T" which had two L fittings to the filters. it so happened that the T and Ls ended up being exactly the right distance apart to put the filters in parallel. will see if I can find the setup and take a pix. I used some quick disconnects to be able to easily assemble things.
bumpy

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
What will work is a large, larger the better sediment filter. They are the first to clog and cheapest to replace. Second a really good filter that gets all the nasties and metals and bugs or microbes. CW had a ten inch small diamter that would do that but now, you have to choose between metals and bugs and the filters cost more. A series of three filters with the first being for sediment and a second that gets metals and a third smal micron that gets what gets through the other two. The msot logical, sittign here and thinking right now, is a sediament filter then one good small micron carbon block filter with silver that gets all that the sediment filter doesn't get. Most sediment filters will get the chlorine too and the carbon block most certainly will.
They produce ultraviolet lamps in purification systems that kill all bugs, A tube carrying the water after filtering out everything runs around the bulb exposing it to uv.
I don't remeber distinctly but seem to remember long ago a psot about this in regards to use in an rv. Cot is the primary concern it seems...aand physical size.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
Ok, I recently installed a RVwaterfilterstore.com filter system. The filter sequence is: a 1 micron sediment filter, a .5 micron carbon filter and the final one is a metal trap canister. The campground I permanently camp at has strong well water pressure (65 psi) and great flow. After I connected the filter system the water barely flows from the hose and all the fixtures in the camper have less than ideal water pressure.

So, I would like to keep the filtration system but need an increase in water flow after the filter system. How can this be achieved?

dh

Well, I tested everything. Tried without filters. Tried each one individually. Eliminated each filter one by one. Tried different hoses.

And with all that, it was the 3rd filter (the metal trap filter) in the series that was causing the most restriction of flow.

So, I removed that and installed (2) 1 micron sediment filters in series and the 3rd filter is the .5 micron charcoal filter.

I probably reduced the effectiveness of eliminating the sulfur smell by removing the metal trap filter, but at least the shower can be used now.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

dh

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
darleyhavidson wrote:
down home wrote:

Nothing is parallel. 3 filters in series.

and therein lies your problem. get three more filters, link them in series, and put both sets in parallel.
the first set up I tried was a dirt catcher filter followed by an effective one. got no flow rate, put two sets in parallel and worked great.
bumpy

Interesting concept. What micron and style filters did you use? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
darleyhavidson wrote:
down home wrote:

and therein lies your problem. get three more filters, link them in series, and put both sets in parallel.
the first set up I tried was a dirt catcher filter followed by an effective one. got no flow rate, put two sets in parallel and worked great.
bumpy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
.5 micron?
Ok....
My diesel truck doesn’t even have .5 micron filters. Start there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
How much have you used this set up?
If the iron is that bad you could have them blocked already. Time to change them. I have high iron at my well and have a filter to catch the sediment before the water softener. This traps all the **** from blocking up the watersoftener.
That filter has to be changed frequently as it blocks up quickly.

Another thing nobody mentioned. Is the flow bad out of everything or just the faucets?

Check your aerators for sediment clogging them up.

Used the filter system for one weekend. The faucet screens are clean. The shower pressure is so low it is almost not worth using. I get water out of all faucets but it is underwhelming flow and pressure.
I will have time to troubleshoot the filter system one more time tomorrow.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
How much have you used this set up?
If the iron is that bad you could have them blocked already. Time to change them. I have high iron at my well and have a filter to catch the sediment before the water softener. This traps all the **** from blocking up the watersoftener.
That filter has to be changed frequently as it blocks up quickly.

Another thing nobody mentioned. Is the flow bad out of everything or just the faucets?

Check your aerators for sediment clogging them up.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
how can filters be parallel ?

Tap to a Y splitter. Both lines go to filters, separate filters. Lines from the filters to another Y splitter. Line from splitter to RV.

You have 2 filters in parallel. You may need to use a hose gender changer in there.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
how can filters be parallel ?
don't they have to be in series

sediment > micron > charcoal taste filter

in parallel sediment would clog the other two

and sulfur taste in the water is not removed by a sediment filter