cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hydraulic lift in receiver on class A towing a Prius

firedawg182
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this last spring, a class A towing a Prius. From under the front of the car extends a heavy tube or pipe with a 2 inch hitch on it. This sitting on a 2 inch ball that is attached to a vertical slide on a lift device installed in the receiver on the back of the rv. I believe the Prius is driven up to position the hitch over the ball, after the latch is applied the slide raises the front wheels of the car for towing. I never got to talk to the owner and I can't find this device on the internet has anyone seen this? I would really like to find more information on this device.
9 REPLIES 9

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Looks like you if you can't get the strap on you just go without it.:) I find it odd they didn't show the fellow finish the procedure.
Maybe it's a quick grab and dash by a stealthy repo man in a MH.:D

Cool idea, but there doesn't seem to be much clearance under the MH with that mechanism.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you if you can't get the strap on you just go without it.:) I find it odd they didn't show the fellow finish the procedure.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, the only references I've seen to this type of lift being used on an RV, have been on Class A Diesel Pushers with Three Axles. The weight being lifted, and the leverage arm to the rear of the coach, demand a very strong frame and a lot of rear axle reserve capacity.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Interesting, the manual for our 2010 Prius said it could only be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground.
Has that changed?

There is no reason a Prius cannot be towed on a dolly or a front end lift arrangement. It is a FWD vehicle like any other FWD vehicle.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I have often wondered why the lift couldn't be modified or installed for use on a motorhome. Guess I won't have to wonder any longer or reinvent the wheel.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting, the manual for our 2010 Prius said it could only be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground.
Has that changed?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
So it's a 'stinger' as used on flatbed tow trucks. Good idea.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Here ya go...

Startracks RV Auto Lift & Tow
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We have an OP who tows with something that looks like you mentioned. I'm sure he'll be by and tell you. I'd think it'd take a DP (which he has) or Super C to carry that much load, that far back.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB