cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Trim Replacement

Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to replace my 7/8" vinyl insert trim. Is there a particular brand that's better than most or are they all about the same. I'm looking at THIS on Amazon.

Thanks
Dave
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
8 REPLIES 8

Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought I did a good job repairing it last time. It held up well until we had our big Texas freeze. I don't mind replacing it. I just want to make sure I'm not buying cheap junk that will fail in short order.

Thanks
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Ours pulled out enough to catch on the door. So far, I just snipped it and pushed it back into the channel.
David and Dayle

Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the tips.
The material under the overhang shrank and no longer stays in the track along the curved section. I stretched it and held it in place with caulking last year but that failed. Time to replace it.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
When installing the vinyl, do not stretch it, rather push back on it so as to gather more material. This stuff shrinks soon enough so using this method will give a longer life.

Good point!

Forgot about that, the longer the run the more shrinkage.

Leave it a bit long at the ends of the trim (allow a a inch or so past the end of trim) and try not to stretch it. At the ends you can use some caulking to seal it up.

My trailer they used a screw through the ends to keep it from getting pulled out from the channel while driving.. Just follow what you find on yours when you remove it and you will be good!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
When installing the vinyl, do not stretch it, rather push back on it so as to gather more material. This stuff shrinks soon enough so using this method will give a longer life.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should be fine, I bought some from Amazon yrs ago, don't think it was the same brand but still looks good.

Not really sure brands make much difference and eventually will harden or crack over time..

Install on a nice warm day, pinch the sides in under the trim lips and have at it.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I cant speak to that brand. I used one that looked similar from JR Products that was good quality.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Doubt there’s any advantage to “brand.”
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold