cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance?

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
I live in New York State. I’ve tried searching and can’t get a clear answer. I have a towable travel trailer that is paid off and I own it. Does this mean I don’t need insurance? I know some may Recommend it, but I’m in a financial situation and if I don’t need to pay for insurance I will not. Please help . Thanks guys
11 REPLIES 11

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Collision doesn't cover your vehicle if someone hits you (their fault), unless you mean a subjective situation where you "may" be at fault or if you want the ins co to deal with a no fault on your behalf.
Depends on your level of risk tolerance and desire or ability to deal with a storied ion yourself vs "paying" someone to do it for you.

My point exactly. Having dealt with other people’s insurance companies before, I am willing to pay $24 a year to let someone else do that for me. I have better things to do with my life than fight with an insurance company. My own carrier has always treated me well, and settled claims quickly.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Collision doesn't cover your vehicle if someone hits you (their fault), unless you mean a subjective situation where you "may" be at fault or if you want the ins co to deal with a no fault on your behalf.
Depends on your level of risk tolerance and desire or ability to deal with a storied ion yourself vs "paying" someone to do it for you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Food for thought... I have a trailer that is worth about $3500. It has long been paid for. I would be willing to take my chances that I will not wreck my trailer. But I carry collision and comp insurance on it. Comp is for theft. Collision is in case some one else runs into my trailer. If that happens, I file a claim with my insurance co, and let them deal with the other party. To me its worth $24 a year.

In my jurisdiction, liability is covered by the power unit.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought the OP was talking liability insurance?

My example of the trailer becoming unhitched and not having any insurance at all on it means whatever damage it causes while it's unhitched and causes property damage to someone else would be out of my pocket..

I carry liability insurance on my trailer and actually collision on it too for under $200/year so no big deal..

I don't have any insurance on my little 8' utility trailer and not required to, so there you go..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in NY too and my 9 yr. old TT is paid off. My car insurance covers the trailer when towing but only for liability.

I do have a separate policy that covers damage to my trailer if it should get hit or damaged in an accident. It also covers in case a tree branch snaps off and damages my parked trailer.

I do not have ins. on my tilt bed and dump trailers, only the liability when towing.

The short answer for you is NO, you have liability ins when towing but if you back your trailer into a tree, car or anything and damage the trailer you will have to repair the trailer out of your pocket. Same while parked. If trailer gets damaged, no coverage for repair.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Have you asked your insurance company/agent?

Lemonhead78 wrote:
No I haven’t. I’m afraid they wouldn’t be honest

Not to be smart about it but why deal with an insurance company you don't trust? :h As far as your question is concerned I'm sure you'll find you don't need separate coverage on your lien free trailer if you don't want it and that it will be covered for public liability under your tow vehicle insurance anytime it's actually hitched to that vehicle, just as is the case here in Ontario.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
How it was explained to me by my insurance agent is that yes, your trailer is covered under your vehicles coverage when it's HITCHED to your vehicle.

He said that if the trailer becomes UNHITCHED then it's on it's own and NOT covered by your vehicles coverage..

Of course, every state has it's own insurance regs, so you will still have to check with your agent, but I don't think they are not going to be "honest" with you... But, only you know your insurance agent and company...

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is parked at the cottage and it has limited coverage for damages like falling trees etc.

Liability should be covered by your truck insurance when you're towing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Quick NY DMV search says insurance is not required on non commercial trailers.
Look at your auto policy and see if it extends liability ins to the towed.
Pretty common, at least in all the states I've lived in. I've never carried a trailer policy on multitudes of trailers, except 1 that I had stored for a while that was at a greater risk of theft.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
If their are no liens against it, you may not need collision/comprehensive coverage, but liability is probably required/recommended.

No I haven’t. I’m afraid they wouldn’t be honest

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If their are no liens against it, you may not need collision/comprehensive coverage, but liability is probably required/recommended.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)