cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Iron air battery -- too heavy for RVs, but interesting

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This could be a game changer for energy storage, and it sounds like it's not just pie in the sky. I think it's too heavy for RVs, but still interesting:

Wall Street Journal article
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
15 REPLIES 15

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
This could be a game changer for energy storage, and it sounds like it's not just pie in the sky. I think it's too heavy for RVs, but still interesting:

Wall Street Journal article
This is very interesting. I don't think it will be too heavy for RV's if you scale it down. Their web site says it is for energy storage and each battery is the size of a washing machine. However if you break that down there are 5 large cells that make up the main storage battery each equivalent to a Li battery in an electric car. Inside these cells are the equivalent of 10-20 individual cells. I think they can string 5 cells or so together to make a 12v battery for an RV. When you think about how it works converting iron to rust then back to iron during charging and discharging, it would not only be cheaper than Li ion but easier to produce, iron is much more abundant the Li and easier to recycle.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I wonder how similar these batteries are to the Iron-Nickel ones from early last century?

Very little similarity.
Thank you.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I see batteries like those ultimately serving the same purpose as pumped storage hydroelectricity and โ€œpeakerโ€ power plants that allow the base power producers of all types to handle peak load times.

Large scale economical battery storage is exactly what is needed for wind and solar power production to become more widely used, and displace more carbon based power plants. Because, try as we might, the sun still sets every evening, and the wind stops blowing at least occasionally.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There are, it appears, several "Air" batteries, Iron, Zinc, Other

Another link about it on REecharge news

air/zinc batteries are the majority of the batteries used in hearing aids. A main reason is the very high energy density you can get from that technology at a reasonable cost. They are not rechargeable but very high energy density.

They have a cover strip that you remove to activate the battery and leave them exposed to air for a few minutes before installing them.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
I wonder how similar these batteries are to the Iron-Nickel ones from early last century?

Very little similarity.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are, it appears, several "Air" batteries, Iron, Zinc, Other

Another link about it on REecharge news
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Asking for a friend, are you someone who is nostalgic to the good 'ol days of horse buggy and want the world to go back to those days?:B
No, according to what I've read those were quite the technical breakthrough at the time. Just curious, doncha know. Even the BBC labeled them as 120 years ahead of their time. Maybe you should do a little reading up on them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
FWC wrote:
This is quite different from a Nickel Iron battery, as it uses air (oxygen) as the cathode.

It is great to see the dramatic leaps we are seeing in batteries and energy storage technology.

The other emerging technology that is more directly relevant to EVs and RVs are Solid State Lithium Metal Batteries . These will have a higher energy density, charge faster and last even longer than lithium-ion batteries.

Indeed!

Every battery tech's head is into this and it won't be surprising to have a breakthrough developments along this area.

Interesting times.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Asking for a friend, are you someone who is nostalgic to the good 'ol days of horse buggy and want the world to go back to those days?:B

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
This is quite different from a Nickel Iron battery, as it uses air (oxygen) as the cathode.

It is great to see the dramatic leaps we are seeing in batteries and energy storage technology.

The other emerging technology that is more directly relevant to EVs and RVs are Solid State Lithium Metal Batteries . These will have a higher energy density, charge faster and last even longer than lithium-ion batteries.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Yup, if it's too heavy for electric cars, then it will also be too heavy for RVs.

There is a frenzy out there to come up with more densely packed battery. Weight and size is always a major consideration.

for many stationary applications it isn't weight or size as much as energy density/volume, cycle life and cost.

Energy density of iron batteries for volume is high, and material and mfg cost is low so for applications like a "power wall" or large energy storage applications they have significant advantages over technologies such as lithium.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, if it's too heavy for electric cars, then it will also be too heavy for RVs.

There is a frenzy out there to come up with more densely packed battery. Weight and size is always a major consideration.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Game changer for homes if it works as stated.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad