cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locking Hubs

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious as to why someone hasn't designed and manufactured a locking hub for front wheel drive Dingy's. I know Warn and Dana make them for 4x4's. It seems there would be a market for them in the RV industry. That would eliminate the need for tow dolly's although you would have to purchase a base plate and tow bar.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)
5 REPLIES 5

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use locking hubs in this situation as it is a 4X4, but as garyemunson said...newer ones have spline shafts engaging the hub directly.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
There is a mechanical difference in front axles between older vehicles that can utilize a locking hub and newer ones that have an axle that has splines engaging the hub directly. Would require a complete new front hub and the hub would probably be too small to accomodate the device.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your possible solution is for the โ€œold days.โ€ The market/target is moving and it takes effort to stay current.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that would work on today's vehicles. Lots are all wheel drive. All kinds of electronic problems. ABS system would go nuts.

Moisheh

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly too many makes/models and too small a market to justify the research and tooling costs. Remco used to make a front half-shaft disconnect some years ago, but apparently dropped it due to the lack of sales.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate