cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost my dad...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
My father passed away Sunday night at the age of 92. He had been in nursing home for 3+ years suffering from severe dementia, could no longer speak, see or hear... it was time. We lost mom to Parkinson's 3 years ago.

He served 30 years in the Navy, most of those on diesel submarines having earned his Dolphins before I was born and retired as a Master Chief. I post this tribute here as it was dad who introduced me to camping. Being an enlisted man our family had very little money and camping was our great escape.

When I was 9 and my sister just 3 dad bought a used 1960 VW camper bus and it served out family of four very well for years. When not camping in northern Baja we traveled extensively throughout the southwest visiting nearly all of the National Parks. He instilled a love of the outdoors and backed that up with full participation in Scouting serving as a merit badge counselor and assistant scoutmaster.

Between dad and scouting I learned well the lessons of life in the great outdoors and will always be grateful. My bride and I have been RV'ing for 12 years making the usual progression... from pop up {Aliner}, to 22' TT and ultimately to our 24' Class C {Nexus}.
While dad's camping days were history he always enjoyed sharing our adventures and marveling at how far things have come.

I am really going to miss him... sigh.

๐Ÿ˜ž
25 REPLIES 25

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here, Just wanted say thank you to one and all for your overwhelming expressions of support and condolences. We will get through this though it was far harder than I ever imagined. Expected to feel only relief that his suffering was at an end but I was wrong.

We all share the love of camping/rving and for many like I that gift came from a parent. For those younger folks with kids treasure your time out in Mother Nature and know that they will always remember.

๐Ÿ™‚

Steve

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences to you Captain. Your dad sounds like he was a wonderful man.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prayers for you, the family, and the wonderful man you knew as dad.

Our last parent (father in law) will hopefully go soon. He's going into a memory care assisted living facility in the next few days. It's reached the point where the family can no longer care for him. His neurologist said he won't be alive much longer, his brain is literally dying.

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss.
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences to you. Your dad sounded like a great guy. Like others here I lost my dad 2 years ago at the age of 90. As I look back it amazes me how smart pop was and I really didn't realize how smart he actually was. That was a great generation and they are slowly leaving us. Enjoy your memories!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry to hear that. I lost mine a few years ago at a similar age. Seems like even though we know it's coming some day, we're just never ready.
Miss him all the time.

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss, keep those memories in your heart

Marty
Marty

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
My deepest sympathies for your loss

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss. When you need him just reach into your heart and you will find him.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss.
The next stage in life is death, he's now moved on and out of pain and doing exceedingly well.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
My sincere condolences over the loss of your beloved father and mother, earlier. What a wonderful tribute though and legacy he left you with - the love of our land!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Fair winds and following seas Chief.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My condolences. It sounds like he had a great fulfilling life both personally and professionally. Tell the stories, cherish the memories, and share the wisdom. I know there's no way a Master Chief didn't share his knowledge and wisdom when appropriate. ๐Ÿ™‚
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not many dry eyes for this one. We owe a debt of gratitude alright. You're a lucky man. Happy camping.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat