cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MKX owners, how do you tow?

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I need help from any of you who are towing a 2016 or later Lincoln MKX. A buddy and I both bought 2018 Lincoln MKX's to tow. I am getting ready to tow mine for the first time and we have a discrepancy regarding the towing preparations.

I say to use the procedure in the ownerโ€™s manual which involves running the engine for a few minutes, shifting through the gears, and putting the transmission in "Stay in Neutral" mode, which is accessed by pressing twice on the transmission's "N" button.

My friend was told by his dealer to use a different method to get into "Neutral Tow Mode". That method involves many more steps and is accessed by using the multi-way switch on the left spoke of the steering wheel. This method is very tricky to use, and is mentioned nowhere in the owner's manual. So far neither of us has been able to repeatedly access this "Neutral Tow Mode" without input errors.

So, those of you who tow late model MKXโ€™s, what method do you use?
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor
6 REPLIES 6

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Does the key stay on in both modes? Maybe the neutral tow mode allows the key to be turned off?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
After several queries to and replies from Lincoln, I have been told to follow the procedure on pages 269-270 of the original owner's manual which can be downloaded here. I asked why not the significantly different procedure listed on page 270 of the "Owner's Manual Printing 2" (listed on the same web page), and despite several requests to several different persons both in emails and in phone calls, I could not get a straight answer.

So I am following the directions in the first owner's manual, but I am very troubled by the differing procedures and the inability of anybody at Lincoln to explain these differences or the reasons for them. To date the car tows well and I have had no problems with it.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Further complicating the question, I have just discovered two separate versions of the owners manual on Lincoln's website. Version one has the instructions on page 269. Version 2 of the owner's manual has the instructions on page 270 and these instruction are completely different!

I will continue to seek clarification from Lincoln, but nobody there really seems to have an answer except to follow the book. But which book? I am confused and perturbed by this.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I am perplexed is that Lincoln put two features into their software, "Stay in Neutral mode" and "Neutral Tow mode". Each of these modes is accessed differently. The first method is referenced in the owner's manual and the second method is not, yet they both appear to be aimed at towing.

Why would they do this? It makes me uncomfortable not to know, but I can't reach anyone at Lincoln who knows the answer.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the written word, not the spoken word. Now, if Lincoln has changed the procedure in the owner's manual there should be a bulletin on it somewhere.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"My friend was told by his dealer to use a different method"
Told (as in oral?) by the dealer who will fix it at dealer's expense if he's wrong?
Follow manufacturer's recommendations. Why are so many so quick to blow off the manufacturer based on what somebody WHO WON'T FIX IT says?
Hint - neither your buddy nor the dealer is going to fix your MKX.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad