cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Molecular test for Canadians going home

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We’re in California now, about to head home to BC. ArriveCAN tells us we need a molecular COVID test within 72 hours before crossing the border. Have any of our fellow Canadians gone through this process and how did you time it when driving home?
10 REPLIES 10

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I’m annoyed with the Cdn government instituting this requirement—crossing the border into the US I just showed my triple vaccination card. I think we will just bite the bullet and pay at a clinic in Northern California that guarantees results quickly.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Have done this two times - the first when driving back from Denver to BC in November, the second the end of December, after dropping relatives at Seatac. Couple comments:

CBSA accept a PCR test or IDNow (and a couple others but they are not easy to get). PCR takes 24-48 hr for results, IDNow takes within 24 hours. We did IDNow both times, first took 25 minutes, second took about eight hours. Keep in mind, you also have to use ArriveCan (online app) to cross into Canada.

Walgreens, and a few other pharmacies, are contracted by the government to do tests to anyone who books an appointment, for free, regardless of country of citizenship. However, it is difficult to book an online appointment without a US address. We used our son's address in Denver and when showing ID at the Walgreens drive-through, we showed our BCDL and they had no issues with that, both times.

First time we had to book at Walgreens in Twin Falls Idaho, as could not find any available appointments anywhere else (tried in Salt Lake City and Washington State, to no avail).
Second time, I had to stay up until midnite on a Thursday to book in the morning on the Friday of the next week, because Walgreens have their appointment schedule booked instantly for the next week (it opens up a day's appointments for a week hence just after midnite and they go fast).

If you are driving back, I would suggest you book online at Walgreens in the Portland area, as they seemed to have the most available bookings. Anywhere in Washington State, because of the border and Seatac, is usually very difficult to get a spot. If flying, get one before boarding as you need to prove your Covid status to the airlines if an International flight.

If you are willing to pay, there are a few places near most airports which fly international. No Covid test is required to fly domestically, so domestic airports will likely not have test facilities. Keep in mind, the associated cost is $180 - $360 USD per test.

It is a pain, but doable.

Marv

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
A molecular test is another name for a PCR test.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Molecular Test: a diagnostic test that detects genetic material from the virus

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
clicky
bukhrn wrote:
OK, what is the diff between a Molecular Covid test & a rapid test?
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, what is the diff between a Molecular Covid test & a rapid test?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Know that most testing in WA (presuming where you'll cross) is hard to get on short order, especially if no symptoms.

We've had to lie and claim exposure and symptoms to get appointments when needing a confirmatory test. It's a mess here to get tested.

Idk what a molecular test is...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use Walgreens, only because of convenience. Book the test online at a location within a day or so drive of the border crossing you plan on using.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
They're testing to see if you have molecules?

(That's a test that even I could probably pass...)

:B:S
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
They're testing to see if you have molecules?

(That's a test that even I could probably pass...)