cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My TT was wrecked by a hail storm.

Gee golly darn....

In June we had a big nasty hail storm run through Calgary, destroying most things in its path. 1.2 Billion dollars damage to homes, vehicles other property and more.

I rushed over to the storage yard of my old Triple E TT and was relieved to find it totally intact.

It has been sitting in storage, unused for a long time because we have another one, nicer, newer, bigger. Figured I'd sell it one day...

A month later in July we had another hail storm blow through, this one nowhere near as bad.

This time I didn't bother checking on it. Bad decision, guess I should have checked anyways.

I stopped by today to do a random check and as soon as I pulled up to it my heart skipped a beat. My TT is very heavily damaged.

The tail lights are smashed off and laying on the ground. The aluminum siding is peppered with hundreds of dents. Busted plastic all over the ground. Even my hot water tank door was hanging open.

Went inside for a look, both roof vents and my fantastic fan, smashed to bits. One screen laying on the floor beside the bed, pummeled and crumpled. All 3 openings have been wide open since July, rain has entered, soaked the jackknife sofa, the bed has had lots of rainwater pour in. Fortunately I have a waterproof mattress cover on it and I left a blanket and comforter in the middle of it, right under the roof vent.

Shards of broken plastic spread everywhere.... What a mess...

Climbed up on the roof, the AC cover is destroyed along with the vents. All the fins on the back of the unit are beat flat. Strangely, the fridge vent is unscathed except a crack in one corner.
The moulding inserts are all destroyed and more.

All I can say is golly gosh shucks I wish that hadn't of happened...

So much for selling it as good used TT. Shame, it was in decent shape for its age.

No insurance on it, I took it off because it was not being used.

Oh well, such is life I guess. Not sure what I will do with it now. I'll have to at least replace the roof vents and the FF cover, throw a tarp over the AC. Sell it for parts, I don't know yet, still absorbing what happened.

Hmmmm...
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
26 REPLIES 26

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Bob,

Part it out. I'm sorry but--even with your labor being free with it sitting soaked for months it is now DOA.

If you miss it--just put some butter over a heating vent in the new RV.
I was thinking the same thing (about the butter)! :B

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

HarleyEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Tow it back to your house and file a claim on your home owners insurance. They fixed my truck several years ago when a 20'x10' yard tent in our backyard blew up against and over my truck in a wind storm.
2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW
2019 Raptor 421CK Full Body Paint

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like your cheapest option will be to haul it to a junkyard. Shame.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bob,

Part it out. I'm sorry but--even with your labor being free with it sitting soaked for months it is now DOA.

If you miss it--just put some butter over a heating vent in the new RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dedmiston
jdc1 wrote:
Another hunter's delight. Find someone that has acreage and needs a hunting lodge.

Not a bad idea.

One of my kids was stuck with friends up in Alaska for the first few months of the pandemic. They went up for a ski trip in February and were planning to just crash in a friend's van. After two months of that, they scored a beat up Class C that was mostly inoperable. They used someone's AAA to have it towed to their zombie camp, and then they fixed it up to make it more comfortable and warmer inside. When they were finally able to fly home, they called AAA again and towed it to another friend's piece of land and left it there.

Getting that beat up rig for their "upgraded" lodging was the best $300 they ever spent.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another hunter's delight. Find someone that has acreage and needs a hunting lodge.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob sorry to hear about the TT, but I agree with you....sorry to see it go but thankful for its years of service. The only thing worth saving are the appliances, get them out before they rust!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
Thankfully it was a green healthy tree so it catch fire.

Didn't catch fire :@

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Once had lightning hit a tree about 75 feet away. Not in the mountains either. Quite a bang and it blew a line of bark off the tree. Thankfully it was a green healthy tree so it catch fire.

I have to look on the bright side of it.

I used it steadily for several years as my portable rolling motel when I was working out if town. I have spent hundreds of nights in it. I would park it at customers homes while I built solariums for them. I was also full time in it when I left my wife of 34 years and moved to Calgary. 15 months of FT, not paying anything for a place to park it. 2 Alberta winters were a little harsh, but that's ok.

The money I saved not paying for accommodations and meals is huge!

As disappointed as I am over the damage, that TT has more than covered the $7500. I paid for it.
All is well!
๐Ÿ™‚
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to here about you TT. It sucks you spend all that time and money to take care of something and in one quick storm can wipe it out. And even if you had insurance on it they would not have offered you what you probably have in it because of its age. You could most likely get the same amount as the insurance would have paid selling it as a parts camper. Or someone looking for a fixer upper.

Just remember the good memories with it.
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Current 2021 Coachman Apex 300BHS
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have often wondered how badly my solar panels would be damaged in a bad hail storm. On another note about natural disasters, I have noticed how many lightning strikes there are in the mountains in summertime. Has anyone ever had that happen to their trailer.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens