cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tire...<200 miles...FLAT!!!! UGH!

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Just put four new tires on the trailer a few days ago. Less than 200 miles on them. Going down the road my TPM starts howling........UGH!

Hard to believe a stick could puncture a 6 ply tire!

Put on the spare and found a nearby tire dealer and replaced the spare.....$110....
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
13 REPLIES 13

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Not camper related, but I ran over a 30-06 round while cruising down the highway in my Jeep.

A few seconds after seeing a golden object in the road and knowing I had gone over it, I heard a pop noise. In the rear of my Jeep I had some chains that also rattled at the same time I heard the pop.

Not knowing what the pop noise was and didn't even think about the chain noise being related, I started to feel a squirm in the rear. About 15 miles later I get to where I was headed and pulled into the local gas station/tire shop and found a low rear tire.

As the owner was breaking down the tire, he asked if I had been out shooting a .22 because it smelled like gun powder.

After the tire was removed he called me over to have a look. The round had gone in bullet first, leaving the primer exposed to the road and the casing had burst inside the tire. The bullet itself was still complete and inside the tire. He pulled what was left of the casing out of the tread and we were able to read 30-06 off of the head.

It was then that I remembered hearing the chains rattle. Even though the complete bullet was still inside the tire, I spent 10 minutes looking in the wheel well for a hole.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

MrWizard
sorry RoyB
thats rough

but not as rough a putting 4 new tires on your pride and joy 68 mustang
driving 30miles and having it catch fire and burn to the ground

rubber ? gas line at the carb ruptured and sprayed gas on top of the engine

yeah it was mine happen in 1976
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your very lucky that could have come apart and did some nasty damage to the under side.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
:B

Trailerwheelsandtires.com , where I bought the tires will sell
Me a replacement tire for $65.....seems like a nice offer
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes life can 'Stick' it to ya. Oh well.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That was probably a chop stick or Chinese tent pole.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I once caught a Philips head screwdriver thru my sidewall... But not bit first, it went handle first. All you could see on outside was the Philips tip, 3 inches of metal shaft, and a tiny bit of plastic handle.
I said to myself that it must have been a jagged broken handle, but when I got home and dismounted the tire off rim I found a completely intact screwdriver! With a nice smooth rounded handle end! No other hole in tire, so it was not in one side and out the other.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
That would be covered as a road hazard at my tire shop. No charge at only 200 miles.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and if I gave you the stick and the hammer of your choice you COULD NOT pound it into the tire. Amazing how that happens with tire punctures.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
Strange, but I've had 2 different tires, at 2 different times, pick up razor blades in the sidewall. Happened while driving & not parked both times. Now I always opt for the road hazard warranty. They were both on the wife's car.
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
It ain't 6 ply on the side wall

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like your TPMS paid for itself! All newbies should be told to get a system. Glad you're ok

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's some bad luck right there.

Before you have any more I would replace those rubber valve stems with metal ones if you are going to use the TPMS on them..
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500