cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stink bugs!!

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our travel trailer is infested with stink bugs. They are hiding somewhere and one or two at a time show up. Last Fall we were camp hosts in NC Smokies, and they hitchhiked home with us. The last week of October they were all over the campsite. I tried bug spray which was a mistake, left an odor and only stunned them long enough to catch in my soapy water trap. The back storage compartment has a strong odor too which may be because I sprayed a lot of bug spray in it, and unfortunately the odor comes through to the inside. I don't know for sure whether the lingering odor is the bugs or chemicals from the spray. I'm stumped, don't know how I'm going to rid our camper of these creepy pests.
27 REPLIES 27

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Bayers with the blue label. It names the Marmolated Stink Bug in the list it kills. Walmart here in Woodland, WA has a price rollback 1 gal spray jug for $7.92
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

Campforever
Explorer
Explorer
Bayers Home Pest is the only defense I have found. Specticide and Ortho Home Defense did not work on the brown stink bugs. Bayers works, you can watch them die.
Randy, Retired and Loving it...
Chevy Dually 3500 Duramax 2015
3910 Montana (2015) Three Slides

5 slides

Ray-EOD
Explorer
Explorer
I spray just the outside. I concentrate on underside of the RV, tires, frame, support and stabilizers legs.
It is easy to get to these areas before I put the slides out and setup the shore power\attachments.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
BigSur2 wrote:
I too have this issue. I live in PA but store my camper in a woody area at a campground in VA Beach. EVERY time we go back for the weekend to camp we end up catching at least 20 or so.

Anybody have an idea how the little buggers are getting inside? I know they can squeeze in just about anywhere but I've wondered if there is a preferred entry route. I personally wondered if they are coming in through the A/C.

Takes time to do but can also help with many kinds of pests:

USAToday wrote:
Seal all cracks around windows, doors, siding, utility pipes, behind chimneys and underneath the wood fascia and other openings with high quality silicone or silicone-latex caulk.

Remove wall and window air conditioners; weather stripping around doors and windows may help. Repair broken screens and windows.

"You have to think like an insect," Jentsch says.

Specifically for A/C units in RVs I'd think that in addition to caulking, a fine mesh screening material placed over the venting would do well if you are concerned the bugs are entering from that portal.

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Ray-EOD wrote:
I keep two things in my 5er at all times, Eliminator Ant, Flea and Tick Killer and Ortho Home defense. Before I pull the RV into a slot, I dust the ground and area around the parking slot with the eliminator and spry the RV with home defense after I pull in. So far have had no problem.
I know this is a little overboard, but I have been infested before, lady bugs in Indiana (these things bite!), flees and ticks in Texas and stink bugs in TN, and took forever to get rid of the pests. So far no other infestation.

Do you spray inside and out with the home defense? I "think" I'm using the same product that is good for both. I've been very leery about spraying the outside, i.e. fiberglass, rubber seals, etc. with it. Was worried about staining and/or deterioration of seals, etc.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

Ray-EOD
Explorer
Explorer
I keep two things in my 5er at all times, Eliminator Ant, Flea and Tick Killer and Ortho Home defense. Before I pull the RV into a slot, I dust the ground and area around the parking slot with the eliminator and spry the RV with home defense after I pull in. So far have had no problem.
I know this is a little overboard, but I have been infested before, lady bugs in Indiana (these things bite!), flees and ticks in Texas and stink bugs in TN, and took forever to get rid of the pests. So far no other infestation.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
We have not had any problems with our MH, but have a lot of problems with our home. I have found Ortho defender works good. I spray under the eves and around all windows and doors. I also have a spray bottle of Dawn and water mix and spray them as i see them. that kills them slowly, so don't expect them to just roll over and die. I am not sure if the home defender would harm the fiberglass of an RV or not, so be careful. Good luck.

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
I too have this issue. I live in PA but store my camper in a woody area at a campground in VA Beach. EVERY time we go back for the weekend to camp we end up catching at least 20 or so.

Anybody have an idea how the little buggers are getting inside? I know they can squeeze in just about anywhere but I've wondered if there is a preferred entry route. I personally wondered if they are coming in through the A/C.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Stink Bugs are imported from China like everything else do an internet search for methods to rid you campers a pan soapy water & a light at night is a method from Virginia Tech. http://wsls.com/2014/04/02/virginia-tech-researchers-find-the-best-way-to-catch-stink-bugs/

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The home defense seems to work on everything but we haven't had any numbers o stink bugs. Hot shot pest strips, in little plastic cages, might get them too especially in compartments. They both get Lady Bugs and everything else. They just have to get any contact, with Home Defense, like walk on it.

JimboBillyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Spectracide Stink Bug Killer, available at Walmart. Black gallon spray jug.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
What is 'stink bug killer' ? Brand ? Where can I get it ?

Thanks

JimboBillyBob
Explorer
Explorer
We've used aromatic fabric softener sheets in crevices and behind drawers etc to discourage stink bugs. Seems to have helped, along with liberal application of stink bug killer.

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
The soap and water is simply dish soap such as Dawn, mixed with water, in a screw top jar. The bugs are not attracted to it, you have to knock them into it, then close the lid. They die without getting squished so they don't stink. It has worked well enough for sluggish bugs but I fear they are perking up now that warmer weather is here. By the way, we bought the Ortho Home Defense Max today, and plan to try it soon.