cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on flat towing a jeep grand cherokee

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to be selling our Jeep Wrangler and am considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude for our next tow vehicle. Any experience, thoughts or opinions is greatly appreciated! We are looking for a more comfortable ride! Thanks!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
7 REPLIES 7

Y-Guy
Closing as its a double post. Please continue the discussion in this thread: Jeep Grand Cherokee, experiences, thoughts, opinions?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a a 2018 GC behind our Tiffin RED. It has the Cummins 360 HP unit. Coach is rated for 10,000 lb towing. Since I have never towed previously, I really have nothing to compare it to, but works very well. We have towed it around 10,000 miles this year without issue. Mileage is the same on coach towing or not it seems. We looked at the Wrangler, but just too expensive for what you got. I figured we saved at least $10,000 on the GC limited with all the bells and whistles. Really like the car.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't post the same question to multiple forums. Notify the moderators and have them move the thread.

Probably too late for that...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an Explorer that weighs around 4400lbs empty. I think the GC is around 4700 empty, I havenโ€™t looked at the shipping weight papaerwork that comes with them when delivered new. But I remember a Summit being around 47-4800lbs.

Whatever one you choose be sure it has the N position for the Tcase. Some of the lower line GCโ€™s only have single speed T-cases.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 07 GC as a towed, I love the Grand Cherokee but its weight is noticeable behind the Winnie. I also have towed a little Cobalt behind it, and there is a difference. Yes mine is a gasser, I see you have the diesel and therefore more tow cap.
If you are comfortable with the current jeep and its weight, you may want to look at the Cherokee in place of the Grand Cherokee. 800 or more pounds lighter, actually a little lighter than the new Wranglers. Better fuel economy, and no disconnecting the battery every time you tow.

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, will do!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
You might want to post this in the Dinghy Towing forum. I could be mistaken but I think this forum is for vehicles that do the towing, as opposed to โ€œTowedโ€ vehicles. Hopefully youโ€™ll get assistance with your question either way but you might have better luck there. Or possibly a moderator can move it.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7