cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our experience as Camp Hosts - California State Parks

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just finished 3+ months of camp hosting at a California State Park. What a great experience. If you're considering a camp host position or simply wondering if it's for you, click on the link in my signature. I've posted two pages of our experience. Safe travels.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
10 REPLIES 10

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, great story of volunteer work. This just reinforces my goal of volunteering 6-8 months a year giving me a sense of community as part of my retirement adventure while searching for a place to settle down when I can no longer travel.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The national/state parks we volunteered in strictly advised us never to try to do enforcement. That's the ranger's job. If we noticed something that needed to be taken care of an easy contact with a ranger was all that was needed.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We have served as park hosts for part of the year, every year for 12 years, including 5 winter seasons for California State Parks. We have also volunteered for Nevada State Parks, Montana State Parks and North Carolina State Parks. We have never been expected to be law enforcement. We spent this past winter as hosts for Monterey County Parks in CA, we will return next year. We have never had a bad experience and highly recommend serving as park hosts. It's a great way to give back to this country and help state/federal/county parks that never have enough funds.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We did it for 9 years, hosting all over the country. My hubby is retired LEO with 30 years on the job. Never was he a "campground cop" He was asked to become a ranger with SD State Parks, but because they did not have full LEO capabilities, he politely declined.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We started out doing it summers only while still working full time, I worked days and DW worked a graveyard shift. We still enjoyed it. Did that for three summers, then last June went full time, spent the first two months close to get out of S&B and getting it ready for sale (DDโ€™s place). Then spent the next eight months at two different parks on the Oregon Coast, winter on the coast is AWSOME!! Spent the last four months caring for a day use area and a 21 mile walking, horse riding, and biking paved trail (Rails to Trail about 15 years ago). It has been a lot of fun! We are booked out for more than a year.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
No thanks. I was a cop and don't want to be a campground cop. I'd rather RV for pleasure.

Sorry pal, I too, am a retired LEO and if you think camp hosting means you have to be a campground cop, it's not the position for you. Safe travels and enjoy camping....:) ... Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with you Dennis. My wife and I did it for a few years and loved it. We tried to get back in this summer but our favorite park had all the hosts they needed.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
These folks wrote the book on being a campground host. Sadly Orran passed back about 6 or 7 years ago and his wife Ruth a few years after.

The Kelley's
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
No thanks. I was a cop and don't want to be a campground cop. I'd rather RV for pleasure.

Then why are you even on this forum? ๐Ÿ™‚

We agree, camp hosting or any kind of volunteering is a fun, gratifying job. Dennis... nice pathways you made! They'll be appreciated for years to come.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE