cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our favorite summer trip...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be picking up our 24' Nexus Class C with my 10' Cargo trailer {14' overall} from storage this morning to prep and load for what has becomne our favorite trip of the year. We will leave our home in north Tucson headed for Gallup {320 Miles} in the morning and then Sunday we will drive from Gallup to Pagosa Springs {215 miles}

In Gallup we always stay at the USA RV Park, a very nice venue, large with great amentities. Our ultimate destination is the River Side RV Park just northeast of Pagosa Springs on the San Juan River. This is a gorgeous park, lots of trees and we have a 40' slot right on the river { I made our reservations for 6 days/nights, months ago}.

The trailer will serve as transport and do double duty as my portable garage for my Indian Sprinfield motorcycle. Every morning after coffee we head out to ride some of the finest bike roads Colorado has to offer... Up over Wolf Creek Pass to South Fork and then on up to Creede near the headwaters of the Rio Grande, for lunch will be the first of half a dozen great rides.

This year I have added another event to cross off of our bucket list, made reservations for next Thursday to do the Cumbres Toltec Railroad {Google it} fulll day trip from Chama {northern New Mexico} to Antonito. We depart Chama by luxury motorcoach at 0830 for the one hour trip to Antonito after a quick morning ride of 50 miles from our site. There are several stops on the trainride with a big lunch at Osier. We return to Chama at 4:05 and then will enjoy the 50 miles of twisites and sweepers back to Pagosa Springs. It should be an amazing trip and we can't wait.

We have friends that rent a condo for the summer every year in PS and we will be spending time with them as well. An afternoon trip to "The Springs" for several hours of soaking in the 2 dozen mineral hot pools {also right on the San Juan River... again Google it} is mandatory along with a ride to Durango, Mesa Verde NP and perhaps all the way up and over Lizard Head Pass to Telluride and probably a run up to Silverton and or Ouray, yep the Million Dollar Highway.

The weather looks good and the rig is just about ready to load. Replaced the house batteries last week with a pair of new AGM's {Grp 27's}, had the tires topped up {65 front and 75 for the rears as we run near our GVWR of 11,500#} and fueled up yesterday. We have done this trip or similar variants 6 times in the last 4 years and always leave for home making plans to return. The southern Rockies offer a short season - late May through September is about right but WOW, what a trip! {A full follow up report complete with pics to follow.}

:B
1 REPLY 1

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would be great in the fall. I have worked around that country a lot.