cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pay for parts up front?

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
I lost an awning this summer in a bad storm. My insurance is paying for it less my deductible. The repair shop wants me to pay for the awning up front before they'll order it. Is this a common practice? I manage a auto body shop and we always pay for parts and collect when the job is complete. just seems strange.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram
2007 Fleetwood Prowler Classic 240 RKS
49 REPLIES 49

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Love or hate Camping World this sounds relatively typical of a custom order. Without knowing how custom or returnable this awning is the attitude seems a little aggressive based on SOP for custom orders from anyone.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
CW doing the job that makes sense ,marcus wants to tie up your money not his. and this job might take till spring to get done. RUN don,t walk to your local awning store .they,ll fix it in a couple days or less.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been burned in the past a few times ordering parts for a customer never to see them again. Unless I know you really well I ask for full payment of special order parts at time of order. Labor when finished with job.
Some say the business may have cash flow problems. No, and this stops you from getting that way
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have already run into the first issue with CW and you are going to go ahead and use them to order/install :H :S

Find another shop......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
avan wrote:
Go to another shop. Why should you be a general creditor of that business if they go out of business before completion? What are your options once your $ is out the door and they don't complete the work on a timely basis or a professional manner. When you pay in advance, are they providing you with a performance bond from a reputable ins. company? Sounds to me like a grossly underfunded business - a red flag you should run, not walk, from. JMO.

This is a STRANGE position to take.
Have you ever bought something online with a credit/debit card? If so, you've given money to an online banking system you've never met (nor will you) for a product you don't even know to actually exist, with the expectation that the proper signals will be received/transmitted by a third-party server located somewhere in the world to a company that perhaps doesn't even have a store-front...all in the hopes that the product you wanted might somehow arrive in the condition you're hoping for.

Put it that way, what's wrong with someone asking to be paid up front for their services...especially when you can see them, touch them, talk to them...

Good point Majorgator.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Same problem with CW on an Awning several years ago. Insurance Co called them and authorized, then sent them a check that had to have both mine and their signatures. Parts were ordered, and were available when I went to get work done. Awning has never worked right since.

Hopefully they can install a simple awning. I had to remove it myself to move the TT home four screws and a pair of scissors. I think my 9 year old grand daughter could do it with a little direction.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:
Go to another shop. Why should you be a general creditor of that business if they go out of business before completion? What are your options once your $ is out the door and they don't complete the work on a timely basis or a professional manner. When you pay in advance, are they providing you with a performance bond from a reputable ins. company? Sounds to me like a grossly underfunded business - a red flag you should run, not walk, from. JMO.

This is a STRANGE position to take.
Have you ever bought something online with a credit/debit card? If so, you've given money to an online banking system you've never met (nor will you) for a product you don't even know to actually exist, with the expectation that the proper signals will be received/transmitted by a third-party server located somewhere in the world to a company that perhaps doesn't even have a store-front...all in the hopes that the product you wanted might somehow arrive in the condition you're hoping for.

Put it that way, what's wrong with someone asking to be paid up front for their services...especially when you can see them, touch them, talk to them...
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect this shop has been "stung" a few times ordering parts for customers and those customers never returning to have them installed.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
I have a check from the insurance company in my name only. Yes CW is going to do the install. I think I'll put it on my AMEX card for now so I'll have some repercussion if something goes wrong.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem with CW on an Awning several years ago. Insurance Co called them and authorized, then sent them a check that had to have both mine and their signatures. Parts were ordered, and were available when I went to get work done. Awning has never worked right since.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Prowler Doug wrote:
It is a special order part. This is camping world so I don't think they'll go belly up. They want awning and shipping money up front. In there quite a bid but not enough to have any relationships with anyone working there.

If you were ordering on line you would need to pay up front. Is insurance involved, or do you have a check from the insurance co.?
Is Camping world going to install?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
It is a special order part. This is camping world so I don't think they'll go belly up. They want awning and shipping money up front. In there quite a bid but not enough to have any relationships with anyone working there.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
inform your insurance company. or find another servicing dealer.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Prowler Doug wrote:
I lost an awning this summer in a bad storm. My insurance is paying for it less my deductible. The repair shop wants me to pay for the awning up front before they'll order it. Is this a common practice? I manage a auto body shop and we always pay for parts and collect when the job is complete. just seems strange.

I have heard of shops to want special order parts that they cannot return to be paid for up front but given that this is an insurance job, I'd just contact my insurance company and let it be handled from there. They may be able to convince the shop or provide one to work with.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the shop is broke, or has a bad standing with the awning manufacturer and has no credit line with them.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro