cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

People sure are getting petty with their park reviews

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
I thumbed through the recent reviews at campgroundreviews.com and noticed that several of the 1 star reviews were pretty dang petty. One was upset because they left their handgun in a cabin when they checked out and the park owner wasn't thrilled to have an unattended, loaded, firearm laying around. The poster went on to rant about they had a concealed carry permit and how the park's website didn't put they prohibited firearms in bold print, instead it was but one of a number of rules on their rule page. I don't know what having a carry permit has to do with leaving a weapon laying around since by definition it isn't being carried, but what do I know.
In another review, the reviewer was upset because they were asked to move their car off the grass. The reviewer went so far as to claim they measured how much they were on the grass and that amount was one inch. They neglected to post how much on the grass they felt was OK. Both of those parks otherwise had consistent excellent reviews. Is it just me or does it feel like people are becoming more self centered on a daily basis.
47 REPLIES 47

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
You're going to see more and more of these types of reviews as the flood of new and inexperienced RV owners hit the parks. Things aren't going to be as rosy as the RV salesman told them it was going to be and the bad reviews will roll in. We just read between the lines and try to find the appropriate information that actually makes sense and ignore the rest. Reviews can still be used to determine the right choice, it just takes a little more work. Chuck

I have read reports of record sales of RVs in the last few months.
Have also seen reports 32% of households missed July housing rent or mortgage.
I think we need to face the fact many of the RV sold will not be used for recreation. CGs will be the new Hovervilles

I'm thinking the people buying brand new RVs are not the same people that are missing their mortgage payments. I'm in some local camping Facebook groups and the people who are newbies there are ones who normally vacation differently... going to Disney, going on cruises, etc. They all still have their jobs and some even have extra money because of the way those stimulus checks were sent out... even people who didn't need it, got one.

I mostly agree with you.

But, in some ways I am one of those people that got a stimulus check that really didn't need it. The check I got was for 1200 bucks. Not going to purchase a very good RV with that. I don't think the stimulus checks are part of the thing.

The people vacation differently is part of it though.

I wonder in a few years if the market might be full of slightly used RV's ?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
You're going to see more and more of these types of reviews as the flood of new and inexperienced RV owners hit the parks. Things aren't going to be as rosy as the RV salesman told them it was going to be and the bad reviews will roll in. We just read between the lines and try to find the appropriate information that actually makes sense and ignore the rest. Reviews can still be used to determine the right choice, it just takes a little more work. Chuck

I think we need to face the fact many of the RV sold will not be used for recreation. CGs will be the new Hovervilles

I'm thinking the people buying brand new RVs are not the same people that are missing their mortgage payments. I'm in some local camping Facebook groups and the people who are newbies there are ones who normally vacation differently... going to Disney, going on cruises, etc. They all still have their jobs and some even have extra money because of the way those stimulus checks were sent out... even people who didn't need it, got one.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckbear wrote:

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I leave very few reviews of anything anymore. If I do it's one of those store surveys and I just say they are the nicest person and any other nice stuff I make up. I try to add some funny into it. As far as camping reviews I've seen people leave GLOWING reviews about a nice boondocking site. Well it's not nice anymore.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
My favorite review. Company had 9 "customer" reviews. Stupidly, they used their real names in the reviews. 8 of the reviews worked for the company, who published the list of their 15(?) employees
I assume the "ninth" person did not give a good enough review and was fired ๐Ÿ˜‰

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always get a kick out of reviews about parks that complain about the bugs. Sure, the bugs might have been bad the day that they were there. Then a few days later they might have been no bugs at all. Their bugs, this is just how they are.

If you happen to be there after a recent rain the bugs will be worse. If you are there during a dry spell the bugs will not be as bad.

You can't review the bugs after a single trip.

Now, do any of you want to make some money ? I have a idea for a money making idea ....Bug Reports !!! First learn about the life cycle of bugs (specifically mosquitoes for example ). Then using modern computer technology,, and the local rain reports,, you should be able to build "Bug Computer Models" that will predict the amount of bugs in a certain area over a certain length of time. Then, giving time ,you could add in bug reports from people you get to volunteer (or pay a few bucks) that catch bugs in their back yards. With each passing year the computer would learn from past reports and get better and better at predicting.

Sure wish I was smart and knew things about computers. If any of you want to work with me I seriously believe that we can do it.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
p220sigman wrote:
I mainly use negative reviews whether they be for a park or a product to see if people are complaining about the same things. If there are a number of negative reviews that all complain about the same thing, I give more weight to them. If the reviews are just the "This park sucks" type, I generally dismiss those unless that is the prevailing review.

Yes

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
A better question is why are these types of people so afraid they need to carry a gun to protect them from a bogeyman?

wapiticountry wrote:
I thumbed through the recent reviews at campgroundreviews.com and noticed that several of the 1 star reviews were pretty dang petty. One was upset because they left their handgun in a cabin when they checked out and the park owner wasn't thrilled to have an unattended, loaded, firearm laying around. The poster went on to rant about they had a concealed carry permit and how the park's website didn't put they prohibited firearms in bold print, instead it was but one of a number of rules on their rule page. I don't know what having a carry permit has to do with leaving a weapon laying around since by definition it isn't being carried, but what do I know.
In another review, the reviewer was upset because they were asked to move their car off the grass. The reviewer went so far as to claim they measured how much they were on the grass and that amount was one inch. They neglected to post how much on the grass they felt was OK. Both of those parks otherwise had consistent excellent reviews. Is it just me or does it feel like people are becoming more self centered on a daily basis.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
kind of like the guy complaining about the reviews.everyone is entitled to their opinion even if i disagree with it

It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another to give an RV Park a poor review because of things outside of the RV Park owner or workers' control... like distance to attractions, weather, etc.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
kind of like the guy complaining about the reviews.everyone is entitled to their opinion even if i disagree with it

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did give one campground a poor review. It was definitely in the off season, they had 95% of their sites winterized. The site I was on was so out of level, I couldn't the trailer leveled using all my blocks. It was the furthest from the bathrooms an showers that you could possibly be. I have no idea the logic of why they thought that was a good idea.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:

A "rant review" of - campground reviews -AND- the reviewer/s...:R..:R

All are a waste of time - been camping in RVs since 1975. Before that in tents.

Sure - found campgrounds I liked and didn't like. Some that were better than others - even outstanding!

Good, bad, or ugly.....the two folks that looked at "reviews" - probably went somewhere else anyway. And/or (G-B-U rated) new ownership might rate a "vice-versa".

*If* it's an area you regularly frequent.....YOU will know what's good and what's not. Return....or don't.

Sooooo there ya go. That's my review, ROTFL.

:W

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
The most amusing one I saw lately was for where we stayed in the Black Hills, near Custer. They gave a low review for the RV Park because it was "too far" from Mt. Rushmore. It's about 20-25 minutes away... and apparently they didn't know how to use a map when booking their stay to see how far it was? Same review also complained about the "mountain" driving in the area. I hope they don't come to Colorado....