cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there such a thing a decent valve extender?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
In every MH we've owned the valve extenders leaked. This brand new MH is no exception. Prepping for a trip and checking PSI and sure enough one of the rear duals was only showing 20 PSI. Turns out the extender was the culprit. And not at the threads but at the crimped joint. So I removed it and will make due on this trip but I need to get new extension because I simply can't check PSI or fill the tires without them. Darned if you do and darned if you don't. So, is there such a thing as a good set of valve extenders - and on top of that, ones that work well with an aftermarket TPMS - preferably a flow through?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
15 REPLIES 15

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the Borg Dually (one piece) valves on our previous coach. They worked OK, but two of them would always have a very, very slow leak that we could never figure out. It was a slow enough leak, was not a real problem, was just annoying to have to keep putting air in every so often,

Eventually, I switched to using braided extensions and the problem went away. The trick is you have to find ones that are AIRLESS. Meaning, there is no air pressure in them normally, so it doesn't matter if they work loose, you will not lose any air. Only time there is any air pressure in them is when you put a gauge or air compressor on them and press on the Schrader valve.

Have been using those extensions for many years, on two different coaches. Have never had a problem with them, yet.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

blt2ski
Scooby, will have to see if I can find some of those valve caps. I rarely get pulled over or go thru dot scales. This has not been a BIG issue. When I do go thru etc, it's usually just weight per axle, extinguisher, voltage on trailer brake battery, lights working etc. Probably due to local usage vs OTR.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a valve extender but an extended valve

Dually valves.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have the right inflator head and 2"metal stems on all 6 but it still helps to have extensions on the outer duals. I have very old 3/4" plastic extensions and they are made with thick, strong plastic and they're doing fine. The best extensions are the metal, double sealed, cap, extensions. Sometimes the extensions don't flow W.A.S. and I'm careful not to break my good flowing plastic extensions. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 6" solid extensions from Amazon for 2 years and no issues. I did use a support for them through the hand hole in wheel.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
You could get yourself a gauge that is around 18' long, has a straight end, and the reverse at an angle. This is what I have found to be and easy way to check my DW rigs going back to 89 when I bought my first one. I also have a fill up end for my compressor that makes it easy too.
Don't get the gauge/fill type with both ends angled. If you have small openings like I do on my Navistar dump truck, you cannot get the gauge into and check the back tire very easy. Then again, the small openings make it hard to get one's hand into the hole to remove the cap too.
I have never heard good things about any of the extenders since buying my first DW rig, thirty plus years ago!

Marty

I often wonder about the idea of valve stem extenders. Started working around duels in '60s and have owned hundreds of sets, on class 3, 5, 7 and 8 without extensions.

Marty, when I got my first set of Pete wheels with small holes I grabbed my drill index and a scrape of wood. Found which size bit gave a slight press fit for metal cap. (Never use plastic cap. Heat of brakes can melt cap, and that plastic can let air out of tire.) Use that bit to put hole in end of piece of broom handle. Worked until I discovered the DOT approved (Yes RVers, CMV can be ticketed for not having valve caps) caps that you can check/air thru. Ask your tire shop.

blt2ski
You could get yourself a gauge that is around 18' long, has a straight end, and the reverse at an angle. This is what I have found to be and easy way to check my DW rigs going back to 89 when I bought my first one. I also have a fill up end for my compressor that makes it easy too.
Don't get the gauge/fill type with both ends angled. If you have small openings like I do on my Navistar dump truck, you cannot get the gauge into and check the back tire very easy. Then again, the small openings make it hard to get one's hand into the hole to remove the cap too.
I have never heard good things about any of the extenders since buying my first DW rig, thirty plus years ago!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The extensions on mine have been there for almost 6 years now and have never leaked. I do have the tires inspected every year.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My extentions have been on for more than 5 years without any problems. custom made to fit from Wheel Master in Vancouver Washington

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my flex ext have been on 4years not a leak ,but next tires will borg,s.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
One warning on the Borg/Dually Valves. Some tire shops have tire machines that are not set up to accommodate this style valve stem.

They either set the tire/wheel down on the stem, or force the wheel onto the tire machine.

What happens is that bends the valve stem. Then it won't fit in the rubber stabilizer when the wheel is back on the hub.

Every time I get new tires, it is a chore to convince them not to bend the valve stems.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for all the responses. I hadn't thought of the actual longer valve stems installed so I think I will go that route. It's just not worth the risk putting braided ones back on.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned before,The ones you need are from Borg AKA Your Tire Supply. Dually Kit Duallyvalves can work with External TPMS that go on the end of the valve stem. I have had the ones from the Tireman for over 12 years with TPMS and have not had a leak or any problems.

DO NOT put the braided extenders on, they will leak and if they come loose from their mount on the wheel they will cause a catastrophic air loss.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not extentions, but actual longer valve stems that don't leak at Borg Valve Stems
Also can get similar at most truck tire places..... you do have to dismount the wheels/tires to install.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard