cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rbw slideout parts ( orphan ) gears again

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we had a off side slide crown gear strip because it was not fully engaging the rack, a new gear only available from Liesure Coachworks who bought out the defunct RBW stock was $150. My previous posts describe how I rearranged spacers and bushings to fix that to full engagement.
This spring it was the door side kitchen slide. The 12 tooth motor drive gear was stripping, not fully engaging in depth the about 40 tooth main gear that drives the crown to rack gear.
Again, a new 12 tooth gear is only available from Coachworks for $149.99 .
Now We are home and handy. This time I took the gear into my shop and with my mig welder turned down low built up the stripped sprocket teeth then with grinders, drill press and files rebuilt the sprocket . The wear issue was exascerbated by a loose bushing in the front aluminum housing which allowed the shaft to push down away from the driven 40 tooth gear when under load. That I fixed by epoxying the bushing into the al. case.
Gear is described as 1.25 dia. on defunct RBW website, and in current Coachworks site. I fitted in my home rebuilt gear at 1.300" to engage the main gear deeper. An hour of time
If you have an orphan with RBW slide out systems or landing gear, options are few and costly for parts. Consider a mechanic or welder with talent to fix yours. 2009 Carriage Cameo 36 fd3
6 REPLIES 6

Okie59
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s what I have 12โ€™ slide dinette side, gear stripped, partial engagement. Have the the new $$$ gear. The drive gear is 3/4โ€ wide, I bought a 1โ€ gear but has a collar so dropped at the machine shop to cut the collar off and that will give me a little more to catch the shaft gear, weโ€™ll see. Tomorrow Iโ€™ll crawl under the beast and check that bushing. Itโ€™s a royal pain. Thanks for the help!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a RV slide out but another hunk of machenery they wanted over 200 dollars for a new gear box, gears and all, when one gear went bad...

Took it to a machinist, 50 bucks later.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Doorside dinette 12' slide crown gear stripped due to 1/3 engagement of gear to rack.
New$$$$ gear and rearrangment of it allowes full engagement. Its not fun or easy to shift the gear, spacers bushings.
Off door side kitchen slide out stripped motor gear due to excessive clearance between it and the ring gear, made worse by loose tolerance in the bronze bushing into aluminum housing. Thats where epoxy filled filled and solidified the bushing.
The gear, a 12 tooth 1.125" OD had clearance to go larger by .0025 without binding, so I reengineered the gear to 1.30, a 25 thous. radius increase.
I consider myself a really handy guy, I have a welding shop. some machine tools. I debated these fixes for months to see how the crown gear could be aligned to full engagement, consulted rbw websites, and mobile repairmen. Their fix would land men on Mars. Pull off slides, new racks gears drives WTF!
It came down to a DIY project with a few wrenches for door side, glue an a little welding on sprocket off side.
Slides work well now.

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
Did you'll ever check the slide motor bolts to make sure they are tight. They like to get loose. I have blue lock tight on my bolts. But I still check the bolts when we get back home from a trip to make sure they are tight.

Okie59
Explorer
Explorer
I just came across your post here. Same issue, except the 12โ€™ living/dining slide. Gear only catches 3/4. I suspect the shaft side has dropped a bit but canโ€™t figure out how to remedy that. I didnโ€™t understand what you epoxied. Any advise would be truly appreciated.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only good with cable slides because I understand the format but won't attempt to rebuild teeth. Lol