cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

real door locks

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
seeing as the door locks on most if not all rv's are junk. is there a better lock to lock the door?

yes i know the door is not so great, and the door jam is dismal at best, then the walls holding it are (******).

but just a better door lock is what i am asking about.

reinforcing a door or wall can be done... pretty?
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun
11 REPLIES 11

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
yes i know the walls, door frame, and door are junk.
just wondering if a better lock was out there. will look into the mh ones.

no not worried about a break in. if they want into most any trailer, motor home, even a s&b, then locks only slow them down less than a minuet.
having said rv parked in a enclosed yard with a couple rotts, one can just not bother to lock any doors.
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
just out having fun

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
Jack Spratt wrote:
The dead bolt side of the lock is actually pretty effective.
After watching a locksmith try to drill out a broken dead bolt for
Over an hour, it gained more respect in my book.

over a hr, not just his drill bit was dull.
the area where the key goes in with the pins is not hardened, cheap pot metal.
i am less than a cheap lock picker. and can get into many lower brands quickly. most all master locks all fall into this.

and less than reputable "lock smiths" do the drill and sell to get a bigger pay out. picking said does not pay as well.
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
just out having fun

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look online "RV LOCKS AND MORE"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The deadbolt on mine is decent. not the best but not the worst either. The snap bolt is.. Well easily broken and then you can not open the door without tools.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you are trying to prevent someone from breaking in, forget about it. A 5th wheel trailer and a MH in the storage facility where mine is were both broken into. They just broke the windows, reached in, and opened the doors.

Planeteer
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat, I have a residential deadbolt on the side door of my class C. It works great and I would easily put one on any camper I own in the future. It is easy to close, and I know it will stay closed which is important with 2 little kids running around.

Edit:
I don't lock my kids in BTW. I just don't want door popping open if the MH flexes (like the old camper we used when I was young) or if they bump into the door while they're playing and fall out
2021 Gulf Stream 197BH

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
How much effort is it worth to put a heavy duty lock on a cardboard box?
Regardless of the lock or the reinforcement. Your still dealing with a cardboard box.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
The dead bolt side of the lock is actually pretty effective.
After watching a locksmith try to drill out a broken dead bolt for
Over an hour, it gained more respect in my book.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Door locks and latches on motorhomes tend to be a little better/sturdier than those on many trailers in as much as they must meet passenger vehicle standards (i.e. avoid popping apart in a crash).

There's nothing stopping you from putting a residential deadbolt on your RV door. A surface mounted one (a rimlock) would probably be the easiest style to deal with since the door is hardly thick enough for a tubular or mortise lock.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Why? It just locks into a quite flimsy RV door frame mounted in a pretty flimsy RV body. I think the lock mechanism is as robust as the rest of what's involved to keep the door closed and locked. A good yank and it's gonna open, only now open and damage more expensive-to-repair stuff. So maybe the door lock should be the weakest link to prevent even more expensive damage to the RV.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do anything you have the money and inclination to do. You just have to decide it it's worth it in your mind. To my mind, there is just no sense in spending big money on a lock when the surrounding parts are easily defeated.

And there's always the possibility that someone seeing that fancy lock and reinforce door will wonder "What the heck is in there that is so valuable?".

IOW, save your time and money.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"