cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Really?

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend we stopped at Camping world in Burlington Wash. on the last leg of a 3 week trip. On the way in the store they were giving hot dogs and such away and the gal said fill out this form and enter the draw for a Honda generator.
I get a call yesterday from Nescowin or something similar saying I won a $1995. prize and that I should come to their facility at Birch Bay and claim my prize of a membership for all their facilities across the country. They said something of a $300. activation fee on the phone. For the heck of it we went there today and they were going to give us the big tour and I asked "What is the bottom line here and how much do I have to pay for this PRIZE? He mumbled $600. and started in on the sales pitch on how much we could save. No Thanks I said That is not a prize I won but a cheap SCAM!!
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell
15 REPLIES 15

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Big brother's and Big Sister's have a raffle every year. This year is a chance to win a new F-150. If you win you still have to pay over 10k in taxes and registration. While the truck might be free the states share is not. Most raffles and game shows are the same way.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next time you fill out the sweepstakes form simply turn it over and see who is running the marketing pitch because I assure you they will call as everyone is a "winner".

aka sucker list.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a CW in Washington and the CG is Neskowin (on Oregon coast), it has to be KM Resorts based in Wa. That's the only CG in Neskowin AFAIK. Stay far, far away is all I can say. Their Neskowin CG is boring with a capital B. Not near the beach and anything of interest requires a drive. KM owns Neskowin and a dozen CGs around Wa. and another somewhere in Or.

KM Resorts gives out those "free" memberships worth a couple thousand $$ all the time at RV shows and elsewhere. The "free" membership is just to suck you into a used car salesman type presentation so they can try and sell you a full membership for $5K -$10K. That "free" membership is a joke and is something like only 10 camping nights a year, not on a long weekend, and not during the high season. It's pretty worthless. Their flagship CG is Beachwood in Birch Bay, Wa. and it's poorly managed, poorly maintained, way oversold and simply put, not a nice CG.

We used to be KM Resorts members and finally got fed up with them and sold last year and don't miss them one bit. Last straw was when they sent an "independent, arm's length" salesman to our house in BC to try and get us to pay more than $8K to upgrade our membership so that we could get discounts at vacation resorts around the world. He said that was a super fantastic deal and if he left our house without us agreeing, the offer expired as soon as he left. What a joke. The salesman also insisted that we couldn't possibly be able to use the Neskowin CG despite it being in writing on our contract after we specifically negotiated it.

If anyone does want to buy a membership from them, do your homework. There is no such thing as a standard membership with them and each and every feature and detail is what you negotiate into your contract with them. Buyer beware....

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! I kind of crack up at these stories-nothing is ever really free!

My sister pulled a good one. Her credit score was in the tank and she had no money and REALLY needed to get away. She got a call from some time share place. They told her up front she'd have to listen to the pitch but if she listened she'd get a free weekend away. Knowing that once they ran her credit she'd be off the hook she went, listened to the spiel, feigned interest, filled out an app and then sat back and waited. She got her free weekend away, including air fare and hotel. Wasn't a high quality place but it was safe-and free. Sometimes ya just gotta have some fun.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I know I pissed off the sales guy....

I listened patiently, while I sipped the free plain label pop and when he was through, I filled out the slip with a bad @ddress (the one I don't read regularly but keep for just such occasions) and a transposed digit in the phone. Where it said how many days do we expect to stay in crampgrounds next year, I answered honestly. That was to say 3 maximum and it will probably be less than that. I excel at finding free ONP.

I haven't heard from them.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a sign of the times. I didn't think it would turn out to be anything but thought what the hey. I didn't go through the big sales pitch as I interjected 5 minutes in and said what is the bottom line. He tried to talk around that but I just said "don't waste your time and mine tell me what it will cost me". I had not been to Camping World for a long time and it will now be a long time again. Not that it is their fault but then again they condone that type of marketing.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
That sucks. Camping World should apologize, give you some compensation and promise to cut that ****.
Jayco-noslide

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really could care less but divulging any contact info to anything or anyone associated with Camping World or Good Sam is a take what you get proposition. Read the privacy policies.

Give them your info and they'll sell it or give it to whomever they see fit, then prepare for the bombardment of junk mail, sales pitches, and marketing gimmicks.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Typical sleazy marketing. Camping World probably got money from the time share sales organization for access to their customers. Only lousy companies who have only contempt for their customers would do such a thing. You don't see that in front of L.L.Bean stores or Publix supermarkets for example.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I used to get the timeshare pitches fairly often, actually went to listen to the pitch at two of them in Florida, They gave a 2 night stay in Ft Lickerdale and 2 day car rental, I took craigslist ads for folks trying to dump the same plans at 10 cents on the dollar and after handing out just a couple was told if I didnt want to sit through the entire pitch, it would be ok.
But it worked for me, timed it to go to a Dolphins game each time.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The old bait and swtich
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting on the Neskowin location. I know someone who purchased a campground membership from at the CW Wilsonville , OR location. Their homempark was i at Neskowin on the Oregon Coast
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It's known as "Live and learn", eventually we wise up and realize there is no free lunch, or no free giveaways!
Hopefully you will think twice before signing up for the so called freebie.
Really no harm done , It's just a marketing strategy. I imagine at the end of the day it's a effective way to get people to listen to their pitch.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if anyone actually won a generator? ๐Ÿ˜‰