cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator smell

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
While our rv was at the repair shop some one unplugged the rv and every thing in the freezer thawed, spoiled, rotted etc. then some one plugged it back in and every thing refroze. The odor is horrific. We have cleaned and cleaned and deodorized every nook and cranny . There is still an odor coming from some where. We have trays of baking soda and damp rid odor removers inside and still have a smell. Our next thing to try is coffee grounds if that does not work I do not know what to do next.....
12 REPLIES 12

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for charcoal. It took care of our shrimp 10 years ago.
The more the merrier.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
The dealer made a big deal about their attention to keeping the camper plugged in.
Well that sucks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I'm kinda surprised you'd leave a full refer of food at a repair shop.

We had no choice we were over 500+ miles from home and we had our grandkids and dogs to haul home. The dealer made a big deal about their attention to keeping the camper plugged in. We could not tow the 5th wheel with only 3 wheels as the bearings had burned out.....

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:

My first thought too, but does not help with the OPs question of how to get rid of smell. Another thought...even if repair shop kept it plugged in, would they be sure to keep fridge level while it's running?

Anyway some good suggestions from other posters to get rid of smell.

Hope you get good results!!

Jerry

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The odor may be coming from the drain tube that runs to the outside. I would assume as it thawed, there was some moisture that went thru the tube and into the collection tray. Perhaps use baking soda, vinegar or lemon juice in water and let it run out the tube into the small collection try on the outside compartment ( if it doesn't drain directly on the ground) Have you also cleaned the seals?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
1st ...wipe down inside of freezer with a strong solution of vinegar and water
(equal parts)

Then ......

2 cups of 'activated charcoal pellets' in open container.

Place in freezer and close door.....leave for 2 days

Repeat IF necessary

Activated Charcoal pellets.........pet store/aquarium-fish dept
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning with lemon juice will help.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
While our rv was at the repair shop some one unplugged the rv and every thing in the freezer thawed, spoiled, rotted etc. then some one plugged it back in and every thing refroze. The odor is horrific. We have cleaned and cleaned and deodorized every nook and cranny . There is still an odor coming from some where. We have trays of baking soda and damp rid odor removers inside and still have a smell. Our next thing to try is coffee grounds if that does not work I do not know what to do next.....

Year before last we were getting a very funky fishy smell from " the fridge". Like you we cleaned everything but the odour persisted. On our Dometic model there is a plastic trim on the exterior below the door. On the back of that is a foam gasket. The gasket was the source and after a good cleaning our odour was gone and has yet to return.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Ozone machine will do the trick. If you don't know what one is google it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
I have been there! (1).leave it plugged in. (2). place charcoal in freezer and bottom. It will absord the odors. It will take time 2 to 4 weeks...hang in there camper it will improve .
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
A bowl of vinegar sometimes helps.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired