cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Revisiting rust on propane tank

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
If I wire brush rust on my tank but do not arrive at bare metal but more rust, I must either arrive at bare metal or prepare to " invade the tank" as^not arriving at bare metal means I am about to puncture through. I have not gotten that far but think this might happen. LP is turned off and if this happens obviously I will discard tank. Doug
11 REPLIES 11

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, I discovered today that all the paint hides rust beneath it. I will save up for a new one. I was hoping until then if a tech could set the lp situation up so that I could just plug in one of those mobile tanks. Doug

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
you could always prime/seal with phosphoric acid. Coverts iron oxide into iron phosphate which is inert. Same principle as POR. Stuff was available in the paint prep section at Home Depot when I bought it.

Google should expound on the subject.

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Not a portable tank. Thanks for the replies. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
ASME tanks are made from pretty thick hard high carbon steel.

If the tank is rusted enough to be condemned Iโ€™m pretty sure the RV frame that itโ€™s bolted to is LONG past being safe to go down the road.

You donโ€™t need to get down to โ€œbareโ€ steel, you just need to get all the loose rust off and slather it in white rust paint.

That... Is a post I agree with.. If the tank is that far gone odds are the RV is too... My last car was fast approaching that point when the settlement check arrived for my RV (It got totaled. which as I discovered later was very likely a very good thing for multiple reasons) my "new" used JEEP has many years left.. Save for one foot that leaks.. about 2PSI per week.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this one of those removable bottles or one of those built ins like on a class A?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had good luck on truck and trailer frames with POR paint.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 to remove the bulk and smooth the surface a bit and paint with a rust inhibiting paint.

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Jax, I will take your advice and get surface rust off and put proper follow up rust protections on. Onan tech who removed my old no good genset told me the frame rust was only surface rust. Doug

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
ASME tanks are made from pretty thick hard high carbon steel.

If the tank is rusted enough to be condemned Iโ€™m pretty sure the RV frame that itโ€™s bolted to is LONG past being safe to go down the road.

You donโ€™t need to get down to โ€œbareโ€ steel, you just need to get all the loose rust off and slather it in white rust paint.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Don't "discard" it. In fact, why bother with the rehab. Trade it in at your nearest propane exchange center. Unless, of course, it's not a 20 lb tank. I don't know of anyone who exchanges 30 lb tanks.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Just trade it in.