cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tank replacement options?

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 era Manchester side mounted tank (86157) is at end of life. It won’t pass a recertification. Just wondering what my options are for replacement. Similar sized tanks on the interweb aren’t cheap and the mounting attachments look different as well. Some have suggested replacing it with a pair of 20lb bbq tanks but I’m concerned about the angle and and I’d have to have a bracket fabricated.

2007 Winnebago View.

Thks
20 REPLIES 20

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
What gets registered? Both Canada and the United States use the ASME Section VIII-1 code for pressure vessel construction but Canada has a CSA B51 standard that provides a more restrictive definition of what a PRESSURE VESSEL is. Canada also registers FITTINGS – items that in other countries would be considered too small to need registering. Likewise we also register many PIPING SYSTEMS in Canada. All vessels, fittings and piping systems need to be built under appropriate quality control programs.

Reading the Canadian CSA B51 there is a clause stating that type 3 and 4 pressure vessels are required to be recertified every 20 years. Steel motorhome ASME pressure vessels are type 1 tanks which only require a visible inspection so keep clean and painted.

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
The key word "MOUNTED" means that it should not NEED recertification.
Only luggable tanks need that.

You are absolutely correct for USA standards.
You are absolutely incorrect for Canadian standards.

I can not fill my 28 year old ASME tank in Canada.

Richard

I have no trouble with my 1986 ASME tank, there is a lot of confusion, nobody seems to bother reading gov't regulations. My tank is painted, no rust anywhere.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

You are absolutely correct for USA standards.
You are absolutely incorrect for Canadian standards.

I can not fill my 28 year old ASME tank in Canada.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ASME PROPANE TANK REFURBISHING
We offer a turn key ASME Propane Tank Re-certification Service in Western Canada that includes transporting, inspecting, sandblasting, painting, purging, and the installation of new valves and fittings. Once complete, these tanks are ready to return to the customer and put back into service.

Tanks are required in Canada to be refurbished and inspected every 20 years. Using our services to refurbish your tanks, your increasing their life span, and giving them the ability to last beyond future re-certification periods.

This is from Impact industrial services. I am NOT affiliated with them. Doug

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mcewena wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
USA ASME tanks are not required for certification. Are you POSITIVE, that Canada requires ASME certification and not just DOT portable tanks which DO require recertification? Doug

I’m positive that some fill stations won’t fill my tank. That’s what matters in the long run.

Canadian regulations are hard to pin down but I talked to a local propane recertifier and he said he probably wouldn’t pass mine due to the rust so I know I’m on borrowed time with it.

I got a similar opinion on the tank in my old C from the nice folks at my local supplier, then another customer walked over to me and told me to contact a company that does propane taxis and delivery trucks.

Those people removed my tank, sand blasted it, repainted it, and reinstalled it with new brackets.

I then went to a different branch of the same company I had been to previously, they commented how good my tank looked and happily blessed it.

It turns out an ASME tank is built from thick enough steel that almost no amount of rust it too much.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I’d run er til she pukes.
You don’t appear to know definitively if it’s rusted enough to be compromised soon. That’s step 1.
If it’s not like half rusted through, give it a Rustoleum rebuild and find a place that isn’t so nosy to get it filled.
JMO

It’s rusted enough that an industry professional won’t recertify it, that implies to me it’s not just cosmetic. I’m giving him the curiosity of knowing his job.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’d run er til she pukes.
You don’t appear to know definitively if it’s rusted enough to be compromised soon. That’s step 1.
If it’s not like half rusted through, give it a Rustoleum rebuild and find a place that isn’t so nosy to get it filled.
JMO
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gary45 wrote:
mcewena wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
USA ASME tanks are not required for certification. Are you POSITIVE, that Canada requires ASME certification and not just DOT portable tanks which DO require recertification? Doug

I’m positive that some fill stations won’t fill my tank. That’s what matters in the long run.

Canadian regulations are hard to pin down but I talked to a local propane recertifier and he said he probably wouldn’t pass mine due to the rust so I know I’m on borrowed time with it.

Clean it up and paint it, they do not want to see rust. ASME tanks do not need to be certified in Canada. My motorhome 1986, tank is clean and painted.

Yep, if it's just a little surface rust, shouldn't be an issue to clean and paint...and suddenly they won't care.

An alternative: If you have someplace to store a 20# BBQ tank, just get a secondary connection plumbed in. If a place gives you a hassle, switch to the 20# until you can find a place where they don't hassle you. We've found that with older 30# tanks...a small number of places get picky but most don't care but so long as you have an option to get by for a couple weeks, the next place will typically fill the tank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Gary45 wrote:
mcewena wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Clean it up and paint it, they do not want to see rust. ASME tanks do not need to be certified in Canada. My motorhome 1986, tank is clean and painted.

Yeah that’s probably he cheapest and easiest option.

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
mcewena wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

if the guage on the tank is going opaque and hard to see red needle replace it, helps to make tank look good.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
My 94 DP Bounder still has the original tank. I have never had any problem filling it here in Canada or the US

That’s great, and if I weren’t having problems I wouldn’t be concerned either. I'm assuming it’s condition not age that’s the difference.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My 94 DP Bounder still has the original tank. I have never had any problem filling it here in Canada or the US

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mcewena wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
A rack fabricated to hold two or three 20 lb BBQ cylinders upright could work using an automatic switchover regulator setup.

Can they be used/stored/transported on their side or 45 degrees?

NO. Just sandblast and repaint. In Texas, (most of USA) rust is not a concern, especially if surface rust. Usually just 4 bolts hold the tank in place. Most LP fillers (USA and Canada) have NO CLUE as to the regulations on ASME Motorhome LP tanks. Doug