cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Serpentine Belt?

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
With some long trips, 6500 miles, coming up and all the posts regarding serpentine belts I think I should have a spare with me.

I already keep tires less than 5 years, TMPS, Silverleaf for data, fluid changes and test regularly have roadside assistance in case of emergency, and keep extra filters with me but have no idea what size belt to get.

Is it better to measure the one on the coach or to ask Cummins what is needed.

2003 Neptune ISB300, 36'

Thanks for for the help.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dusty R wrote:
Got to ask a question.
Has anyone had one actually break? If so, how many miles did it have on it?

Never seen one break that wasnโ€™t the result of some other failure, taking out the belt.
Old habits I suppose, but a new belt and idler and tensioner pulley on an older or higher mileage vehicle is cheap insurance. Which I realize sounds silly if not replacing everything that spins like the alternator and steering pump. But...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dalenoel wrote:
I'm going to see if the labeling is still on the belt. Need to get into the closet to get access as this is a rear radiator. If not then will have it changed at next service.

To some who suggested the results of a pickup truck, this is different in a rear radiator as there is no hood, easy access or ability to work easily. You need to stand on your head in a closet or be under the engine reaching up.

Not being sarcastic but just realistic.

Sounds like even more reason to replace it pre emptively then. If itโ€™s original.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I've had serpentine belts break at work before. Our equipment has Cummins 3.8L diesels but is a rare failure. Never had one break on my personal vehicles since they got away from V belts.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did but it was many years ago and I don't even recall what car I was driving at the time. It was one of the old V belts. I assume the engineers have improved the product since then.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Good question Dusty. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Got to ask a question.
Has anyone had one actually break? If so, how many miles did it have on it?

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to see if the labeling is still on the belt. Need to get into the closet to get access as this is a rear radiator. If not then will have it changed at next service.

To some who suggested the results of a pickup truck, this is different in a rear radiator as there is no hood, easy access or ability to work easily. You need to stand on your head in a closet or be under the engine reaching up.

Not being sarcastic but just realistic.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
1320Fastback wrote:
Before our big trip a few years ago I changed the belt on my truck myself a few days before departure and kept the old one as the spare. I do not agree with waiting till is starts shedding rubber because that is what will leave you stranded.

Maybe if you pop the hood every time before you start the engine waiting for it to start shedding works...but I know no one who does that, so we did what you did. Put the new belt on and kept the old as an emergency spare. No sense buying a new belt and then let it age out sitting in storage.

Plus if you do it at home, you get an idea of what you need and how to do it, so if it does fail, you are better prepared to replace it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Idk if the other ISBs are like the Dodge trucks, but the dodge Cummins donโ€™t love anything other than OEM or Gatorback, now Continental, belts. Others work but they are finicky, squeak and squeal in anything other than ideal conditions.
Food for thought if youโ€™re replacing it.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Before our big trip a few years ago I changed the belt on my truck myself a few days before departure and kept the old one as the spare. I do not agree with waiting till is starts shedding rubber because that is what will leave you stranded.

If they make on I suggest the Gates Green Stripe for your rig.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the ability and tools to change it on the side of the road then carry a spare. If not why bother?

You can call an ERS and get them to change it. I have one in the back of the truck I'll get a mechanic to swap out next time we are at the home port. I changed all the fluids and at the 10 year point I fuigured it can't hurt to replace it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just blew an A/C belt sitting in my driveway, idling, at 60K miles. Will replace it now, and add the serpentine belt and regular service. Will save the one off, and carry it with us. We plan a cross-country trip soon, and would be NICE to have the proper belt as a spare, even a temp spare.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dalenoel wrote:
Is it better to measure the one on the coach or to ask Cummins what is needed.
If the labeling is gone take it off and buy the exact same one.

Cummins may not know what belt you have due to Monaco added equipment.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roger10378 wrote:
If you have the ability and tools to change it on the side of the road then carry a spare. If not why bother?
Sometimes it is easier to find service help than parts. Especially at late hours or holiday etc.

For the OP: Have the belt changed at your next service. Save the old as a spare. Then you know it fits.
Generally I believe minimum life on these is 10 years and 100,000 miles. So unless you are approaching that I would not have any concern yet.