cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic/Computer total knee replacement is a game changer

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before telling my story, I should disclose my personal physical profile. I’m 70 years old. I’m on no prescription drugs. I’m 5’5” and weigh 145. I’ve been physically active for the last 50 years. I’m not superman but have been called tough, tenacious geezer. I do have a very high pain threshold.

I was scheduled for knee replacement a year ago but moving and Covid got in the way. My knee had deteriorated to the point when my leg was bowed, and I could only walk short distances. The pain was severe and constant.

The orthopedic surgeon at Wickenburg, AZ hospital uses the Mako system of knee replacement. There is a similar system named ROSA. You can read up on the two. Both claim significantly diminished rehabilitation time. I decided to go with the Wickenburg hospital as it was 15 minutes from my home, and it is a small hospital with a very good local reputation.

The surgery took two hours. Protocol is for TKR patients to spend one night in the hospital. As soon as I was able they had me pushing my walker up and down the hall. I obviously had no pain because of the nerve block and opiates. I was up and down several times that day with the nursing staff cheering me on calling me a “rock star.” Actually, I think they were cheering my naked butt showing through the hospital gown!

My nerve block wore off about 4 am and woke me up. I asked for a pain pill. After breakfast I was pushing the walker again. I went home at noon. My pain was manageable without additional meds. I did take an oxy before bed.

I took no additional pain medications for the duration except for Tylenol. I used a circulating ice water pad off and on constantly. Since I was not on opiates and stable on my feet, I ditched the walker three days after surgery and started using my titanium trecking poles which I tossed aside a week out.

I started sitting on my bike trainer two days after surgery rocking back and forth. I wasn’t able to make a complete revolution until about a week out. After that II rode it about 25 minutes a day and walked a quarter to half mile. With the help of PT I was walking two miles a day about 12 days after surgery and back on the road riding my bicycle at a few days later. Within three weeks I was riding up to 12 miles of biking or walking up to three miles every day besides doing my exercises twice a day. That third weed I also put on my hiking boots and went to a local park where I did circuits of steps, curbs, ditches, washes and rip rap.

I was dismissed from PT a day short of five weeks and released by the doctor at six weeks. Both my PT and doctor said my recovery was ahead of the curve but not completely unique. Every person is different.

At seven and a half weeks I took a hike to an alpine lake in Colorado. The trail was rocky with significant short inclines and declines. I felt absolutely no pain in the knee. I could tell that I still have some work to do on my quad muscle.

My suggestion for anyone considering TKR is to find a doctor using the robotic system. Get off the pain killers as soon as possible, get your head in the game and make rehab your full time job.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
3 REPLIES 3

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My mother had one hip done and the other one 5 or 6 years later, she said the operation and recovery was like night and day.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing is to go into the operation with a positive attitude. Start your after surgery exercises before the surgery and do any PT recommended.
I was operating a walk behind snow blower 4 weeks after my TKR.
The non-robotic surgery was was simple for me.

My doctor told me about two brothers he gave a TKR. They both got out of bed after the surgery and went home. No pain, PT or problems.
Everyone recovers at a different rate.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joint replacements have come a LONG way

Good to hear yours went so well. KUDOS!

One neighbor lady had Both hips done. First one then 6 weeks later the other one
She is 85

Another neighbor lady had one hip done last month...has surgery scheduled next month to do the other one.
She is 64

Both followed and DID the necessary PT

Too see both up/about and being able to do things that last year was near impossible for them is AMAZING!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31