cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teaching Your Spouse How to Pull a Trailer

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
First let me say that this is really intended to find out your teaching methods for anyone, not just a spouse. Problem is there is a bit of sensitivity issues that get in the way with a spouse. I have a Subaru Outback with the CVT, and 4 cyl. The shifting paddles in manual mode is on the steering wheel. The trailer is enclosed and weighs about 500 lbs empty. Only going to load it to a combined total of 1,200lbs. The trailer is short, 4x6 and you cannot see it in the side mirrors while pulling which is not a bad thing. So, the question is, how do you go about teaching your wife how to pull a trailer and how to back it up with out ending up in a divorce?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
33 REPLIES 33

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
My thought is to leave "backing" out the curriculum. If i needed my wife to pull a rig, it'd be going down a pretty dang straight road like Hwy 80 or Hwy 40. And for the most part in my case it'd only be if I was too tired to drive and we needed to make up time to be somewhere at some specific time. Easier with a Diesel tow vehicle too as there is no thought of shifting down or braking going up or down hills
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Not sure why a car with a CVT would have paddle shifters...

Subaru CVTs have "psuedo" shift points.

I down shift to maintain speed going down a hill where the speed limit goes from 45 to 35 on commute.
2013 Crosstrek with CVT that thinks it's a 5 speed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
aftermath wrote:
We know of a couple who had a medical emergency while far from home. If it were me, she would HAVE to drive.
I have told her it is OK to just abandon the trailer if needed. Do what is needed.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
52 years being married to the homecoming queen/head cheerleader. She is the greatest cook, cleaner, woman, spouse, and friend ever. Now that I've said that; teaching her certain things can be a challenge. As a spouse that values a good thing, we've found that she is pretty willing to try some things---like pulling our RV's. She has quietly watched me doing the "RV" thing, and has caught on pretty well.
Use calming instructions and let her know ahead of time what is going to happen or what's coming up. IF something bad happens, ya know---stuff happens!
The last camp trip, she pulled from the site, down the highway, into town, and into the dump station like a champ.
Oh, and the fact she is a better shot then me curtails my actions somewhat.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMHO this is the BEST kind of rig to learn to tow on.

With a rig that small you can get to 99.9% of places without having to back up. The trailer is short and nimble behind the car. It will follow right behind in the car's tracks. She will forget it's there. If she gets into a pickle she can always unhook and push the trailer where it needs to be, then rehook.

Plenty of people tow trailers without being able to back up.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Explorer II
Explorer II
the question is, how do you go about teaching your wife how to pull a trailer and how to back it up with out ending up in a divorce?
Most importantly, she has to want to learn.
Once my wife acknowledged she wanted to learn, I taught her over time while traveling. I would say out loud what I was thinking at the moment, such as "approaching right turn so setup wide left" and ask her to watch the trailer in the right side mirror while I make the turn to observe the tracking. "Notice how much room we need to miss that curb?" Whatever the situation was, I would just say what I'm thinking.

As far as backing up, we went to a large college parking lot. I did it a few times, again, just saying what I'm thinking. After doing that a few times she did it several times. Sure she screwed up, mostly over correcting, but I assured her she can't damage anything and tried to make it fun. I learned something here from watching her. With steering wheel straight and hand at 6 O'clock, you move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. While backing into the final approach, if you have to move your hand beyond 3 or 9 O'clock to correct your angle, stop, pull forward and try it again. Otherwise she would zig-zag her way back trying to get everything aligned.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a good thread. My wife and I agree that it is pretty important that she knows how to pull the trailer. We know of a couple who had a medical emergency while far from home. If it were me, she would HAVE to drive. That said, I agree with the last couple posters. She does not like the idea of driving in small confined spaces and even now, backing up is not something she would do. So, I started by having her drive an hour or so at a time on the freeway. She caught on quickly and is actually a very good driver. Next was having her pull into a gas station. Pull wide, so slow and watch your mirrors. Again she is pretty good at that. If we have to get into town, I take over. That will be our next challenge. So, be supportive, go slow and don't do the mansplaining thing.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I shut up and let her drive, she does just fine. She probably has as many hours as I do behind the wheel, mostly large trailers. She drives our 5th wheel just fine, and can back it to. Her biggest problem is hooking it up and unhooking, but she can do it.

My advice, let he drive in an open space with low traffic. So, if you are on a trip and have a good stretch of open highway, that is a great way to get comfortable behind the wheel. If you have a good setup and the trailer pulls well, then a good highway where there isn't lots of lane changes, or stop and go, etc, is a great way to get comfortable. Once she is comfortable going, pulling on and off the roadway, then you can work on backing. If she helps you back a few times, then she will get the idea of what it takes to back. The biggest part is to take is slow - and be better than me and just shut up...

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed trailers for 35 years. We have had current TT for 10y. My wife has towed our TT exactly once for about 3 hours on a long (15h) drive.
No need to push the topic if your spouse is not interested in learning. Let her help where the risk is low and value (AKA offloading your time) is high.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Also from what I know about towing, a small utility trailer is pretty much the worst thing ever to back up 🙂

Almost but my vote goes to one of these behind a lawn tractor. Worst thing ever to back up.

With that you just unhook it and move it manually haha!
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My girl is good driving my one ton Ford. With a little practice, she is good pulling a TT. When the roads get difficult, or we have to park it, she lets me drive. No problems.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BIG parking lot with a few cone.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed most of these posts and took in some good advice. It will be a challenge for sure but I just wanted to find out how some of you were able to do this with your spouse. Good news is we are in a remote area and can do this with out issue. The test is with other cars around. Here we go!!!
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Find a large gravel lot, get some cones, train away, never yell, if things get tense take a break, make it a fun experience