cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof freckles

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My rubber roof has freckles. 12 years old. Cleaned at least twice a year. Have used TV roof cleaner & conditioner. Also 303. Stored indoors 7 months each year. How to clean? Will chlorine based product like Soft Scrub damage it?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
5 REPLIES 5

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think the black streaks are actually the white coating washing off the roof, leaving the black spots. I fixed the issue two ways. I used a product called RainKap that diverts any runoff away from the sides of your RV (way superior to the gutter spouts IMHO), and I recoated the roof with Hengs, which has stayed nice and white with no black soot spots. It also had the side benefit of cooling down the RV significantly. Unfortunately, it looks like the RainKap product is no longer made.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
It matters plenty. Road soot collects on the roof, gets wet &washes down the sides as black streaks. Fine if you don't particularly care about the appearance of your rig & what that eventually has to do with its value. Did the roof of mine today giving it a good going over after a 3 1/2 month seven thousand mile trip. Followed the cleaning with a good application of 303.
Mine has rain gutters that work real good. I get no streaks down the sides. As far as resale....last two I traded in and the price I got was sight unseen. Dealers never laid eyes on them until I showed up to do the deal. In all honesty I would put the condition of mine up against anybody's. After a few years there is no resale value anyway.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Plenty - almost all rubber roofs develop this issue and IMO it's cosmetic issue and unlikely to be related to black streak (if it doesn't come off with soap/water why would it come off with rain?) When I wanted a perfect roof I would send my son's up top with a bar of lava soap enclosed in a thick sock .. they would lightly scrub the roof and it would like like new. Hope this helps.
Kevin

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It matters plenty. Road soot collects on the roof, gets wet &washes down the sides as black streaks. Fine if you don't particularly care about the appearance of your rig & what that eventually has to do with its value. Did the roof of mine today giving it a good going over after a 3 1/2 month seven thousand mile trip. Followed the cleaning with a good application of 303.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why does it matter? Mine gets washed maybe every year or so. Just want to get the big stuff off. I don't wash the roof on my house why the RV?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS