cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Insurance

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel had the drivers side blow off on our trip home from Myrtle Beach. Our insurance denied the claim because it was due to a leak in the front seal. I understand their explanation and could live with that but the entire process has shown me that the customer service was not there.

The first issue is that it took four days and several calls to just get the adjustor to contact me. It then took a week to get him to come out and inspect the damage. He informed me that he was the only adjustor for the entire western half of Pennsylvania.

The adjustor looked at the damage took photos of it and then asked to see inside. He went through my entire 5th wheel from front to back opening doors drawers and other cabinets. He pointed out that my vinyl floor was worn and a drawer was off the track. Everything that was worn on my 12 year old unit was mentioned. He kept taking pictures of everything. He also kept telling us that he spent time in Indiana where most RV's are made and was certified. Never said certified in what just certified. We were told that he would meet with his manager and after reviewing our policy they would do their best for us.

I discussed this with my local agent and although I wasn't optimistic about getting the claim approved I let him know that I was not real happy with the time it took to get a response and also the way this guy talked and carried himself. My agent promised me he would call and discus the claim with him and his manager. That never happened the adjustor called the 1st thing the next morning and denied the claim and told me he knew my agent had called him but he did not have a chance to talk to him. They never did talk. My agent also promised to email me my RV policy so I could see for myself the exclusion that applied to my claim. They emailed me and printed out a copy but none had any exclusions. The online copy also does not have any exclusions. I know that they are there somewhere because the adjustor listed the page number and everything in the denial. No one can seem to produce them for me.

In a follow-up call to my agent I was informed that the company had made cuts in its work force and one of the areas was adjustors. That means the entire state of Pennsylvania has just two or three adjustors to handle specialty vehicles. (RV's, boats, motorcycles, ATV's etc.).My agent also agreed that they were not very good with dealing with the customers and has had other complaints.

I have been with this company for over 12 years and had no issues but then again I had no claims either.

I want to repeat that I accept the claim being denied. My issue is the customer service for the process. Only a few adjustors means a wait and keep in mind the adjustor told me that I had to protect the RV from further damage by keeping it covered or in a garage. I was fortunate my son in law could come over and get it covered for me as I am disabled. After looking at the damage the adjustor put the tarp back on poorly causing me to get my son in law back over that evening in the rain to recover it.

I am having the 5th wheel repaired and should have it back sometime soon. The final straw with the insurance company came this week as well. I was told that I would have to provide proof and photographs that the damage was fixed properly in order to keep my policy in effect. They "suggested" I show a photo showing that the damaged sidewall was removed and also of the new sidewall. The repair shop had already removed the damaged portion and the new sidewall was in place. So not sure what the outcome will be on this.

So now that you know the details I am looking for another insurance company to cover my RV. I am more than willing to have this company handle all of my other insurance needs as well. My current company handles my homeowners, auto, RV and an umbrella policy.

I would like to hear from people who have had to deal with a claim or other issue to find a company that gives the best customer service. If you had asked me about my company prior to this I would have probably recommended them so I really want feedback from those who have really had to deal with their company. I want customer service and treated with some respect if I need help.

I am interested in who you would use and also who to avoid.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
16 REPLIES 16

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have National General and made two claims in about 3 years (about 5 years back was the last one). They did not raise my rates, handled the claims extremely well and I am still with them. I pay $56 for 6 months (in storage) and $166 for 6 months out of storage.

the2bears
Explorer
Explorer
Yes those commercials are hard to watch. Just cancelled "on your side company" Nationwide. Slogan should be "bend over". Worst experience ever. Adjusters simply don't know RVs. Allied is part of same company.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
Op Here,

I'm sorry for in not stating the company name. I was trying not to make it look like an attack post against them.

It was Nationwide Insurance

Dave

I thought they were on your side. :B

Yes watching those commercials has not been fun at all!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
Op Here,

I'm sorry for in not stating the company name. I was trying not to make it look like an attack post against them.

Dave

I thought they were on your side. :B
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Not sure but it looks like the entire process took about two weeks. It also looks like they were good about communicating with you. I'd say you got good service and I don't understand the complaint.

I'd wager you don't have much experience dealing with insurance claims. Keep in mind that your crisis is just another day at the office for them.

Yes I have experience with both car and home filing claims never my RV. It took over a week just for a response. That is what upset me. I called several times to the claims number for a status and THEY said he should have contacted me already. THEY said 24 to 48 hours and it was a week. In regards to communications all communications EXCEPT the denial were initiated by me not them. This is not good communication and it was not even within the guidelines the company said they have. Which brings me to the next problem only 2 or 3 adjustors for the entire state of Pennsylvania? He came in a week ONLY because I did not want to wait close to the 3 weeks he initially proposed. That to me is not good service in my book at all. If your ok with it then fine but I am not.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure but it looks like the entire process took about two weeks. It also looks like they were good about communicating with you. I'd say you got good service and I don't understand the complaint.

I'd wager you don't have much experience dealing with insurance claims. Keep in mind that your crisis is just another day at the office for them.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have had Progressive for our travel trailer for years now. They insure just our travel trailer. We had a limb fall through the roof 2 years ago. Called them the day it happened they informed us to cover it (which we did already) They gave us several dealers to take it to for repair. They arrived the very next day after we got it to the dealer. Gave approval on all repairs that the dealer said were needed. Checked in with us several times throughout the repair to make sure we were happy.

Was pleased with this event.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you would be better served after repairing the damage to go with an RV insurance company of good reputation. It will probably be more expensive
But if they cannot show you in your policy where it is excluded I would be in touch with your state insurance commissioner.
Put all communication in writing to your insurance company. Ask for the place in your policy where the cause of the damage excludes their paying the claim. If they cannot prove to your satisfaction that it is excluded then the State Insurance commissioner can help. The insurance companies dislike hearing from the insurance commissioner and HAVE to cooperate with him they do not HAVE TO cooperate with a lawyer.
I New York and other states your coverage may be reduced if a repair is not made. And in New York if you repair it yourself you have to go to a place that will take a picture and send it to your insurance company
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure every insurance company has an "appeal" process.

But to answer the real question, we are with AllState. Been with them for lots and lots and lots of years. Like you, we have an umbrella, Absolutely everything we have is insured through them. The few times we've have to use their claims process, they were great to work with. We had a pop-up and the awning flipped over the top and punched a hole in the roof. Insurance paid all but my deductible to replace the entire roof, not just fix the hole. As I remember, the roof was $4000. We only paid $6000 for the entire camper brand new! It was less than 2 years old at the time.

We contacted them again when we had hail damage on our previous Springdale TT. All the vent covers got broken out. We started a claim, but when we found out we could get all of them replaced a local dealer-repair shop close to us could fix them for just a few dollars more than our deductible at the time, we canceled the claim. They they were willing to go that route.

The last time we used the was when I put a dent on the fat fender of my duly. I took the truck to their recommended collision and $0 deductible later (because of vanishing deductible and it was more than 5 years since we've had any claims, and one week, the truck was mine again! Absolutely no hassles, no arguments, no fuss. I think that's why we've stayed with AllState over the years. They may not be the "cheapest" in price, but they do have absolutely great claims service. That's why we stay with them.

And when we had a "flood" in the house, although we have separate flood insurance, the flood insurance is instermental through them, they were great in getting everything we needed and arranging everything. And the insurance ended up pay us an a whopping amount we did not expect, when all we were hoping for was a new carpet. This resulted in an entire remodel of our living family room, which is something we wanted to do for years anyway. It turned out absolutely great!

So, we've used AllState for multiple purposes, including road-side assistance, and they've always pulled through great!

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
We all are at the mercy of our insurance companies. They will, as you have found, go out of their way to not pay a claim. I would be getting an attorney to go after the insurance company. Perhaps the insurance company is correct in denying your claim but I wouldn't be taking their word for it. Which insurance company are you dealing with so we too can avoid it?

How many Ins. Co. have you sued and come out ahead? Ins. Co. have Attorney's in-house. You get to hire your own. For a claim of less than $5000 I would guess it would not be advantageous.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
We never know how a insurance company handles claims until we have a problem. Its not like we have accidents all the time. Sometimes we have one company for years before we know how good or bad they are.

After reading your post it did sound more like a maintence problem than an accident. Did you hit something that caused the problem?

No I did not hit anything. As I stated in my post I understand and accept the claim being denied. I am not arguing that point at all. What I am really unhappy about is the customer service and total lack of respect. Now I have to provide pictures of and other proof of the repair just to keep my coverage. If you wreck your car and get it fixed on your own you don't have to take pictures and other stuff to keep your coverage.

You can read about the damage here on this post.

5th Wheel Damage

Dave

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We never know how a insurance company handles claims until we have a problem. Its not like we have accidents all the time. Sometimes we have one company for years before we know how good or bad they are.

After reading your post it did sound more like a maintence problem than an accident. Did you hit something that caused the problem?

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Why carry anything other than Lia. on a 12 yr. old 5th. wheel? If it was covered, they would total it (that is the reason he inspected it so well). If he totaled it every discrepancy would be used to arrive at a value. Carry Lia. only and keep the rest of your money in your pocket. Here are NADA values on your 5th wheel.

NADA is $6250 on the RV.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Op Here,

Dave