cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Mattresses

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to get a new mattress for our TT and looking for some advice. I've done some searching and know that there are numerous online sites, but how to choose? Mattress likes/dislikes are so subjective. When we've bought home mattresses we always hit a few stores and tried them out, testing for feel and firmness, etc.. If we had a normal size bed in the trailer I know I could do the same, but we have a 60" X ~74" short queen and no stores around here seem to stock something in that size.

Suggestions/recommendations?
26 REPLIES 26

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mattress replacement Update::

I gave the salesman that sold our RV to us and has been an avid RVer for years a call. He recommended "Mattress Maker of New England". It is located in Brockton Ma. about 20 miles from our home. I called them and was told to bring our old mattress in and they would match the dimensions. We went there last week and my wife was able to pick out just what she wanted for firmness and coverings. (I can sleep on a board, so as long as she is happy all is good). Anyway, I picked it up yesterday and of course it fit perfectly and my wife is satisfied. It is a 6" firm mattress with a 1 3/4" custom cover. 10 year warranty.
cost us $475.00.
As always, a great thread.. Thanks to all!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

The mattresses that come in RVs are torture devices... Memory foam toppers are a waste of money.

We purchased 4" memory foam topper from Costco for our home, loved to so much we did the same for our 5er.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

SSandman
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
The mattress that came with our Coachmen was like sleeping on a pool table.

Our Coachmen Freelander came with a Serta. Very comfortable.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Memory foam mattress from Groupon.com

Best $400 ever spent. It’s better than my mattress at home that I paid $1800 for.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Zinus 10" memory foam mattress for my home a few years back. The wife and I were both pleased with it.
So naturally, when I bought a tt this summer that needed a new short queen, I ordered a Zinus 10" short queen from Amazon.
Slept on it 3 weekends thus summer and were very happy with it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Memory foam toppers are a waste of money.
Some of them are, the cheap thinner ones. I have 3" of good quality MF ($250 10 years ago) over 4" of regular bed foam. It's amazingly comfortable and no dips or sags.

It depends what's under the MF topper too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were out camping one weekend and drove past a mattress shop that had a sale on. Bought a standard length memory foam mattress for under $200 (IIRC) and shortened it with a bread knife on a picnic table in a CG. No idea of the brand. That was 7+ seasons and 3 TTs ago and it has been an excellent mattress and has provided some of the best sleeps compared to our fancy dancy megabuck memory foam mattress in the house. If I were buying it today, I would have extended the lid on the underbed storage an inch or two and cut the mattress longer.

One thing about the memory foam mattress is that it is heavier than an RV mattress. I had to relocate the mounting points for the gas shocks in our underbed storage so the lid would stay open.

The mattresses that come in RVs are torture devices... Memory foam toppers are a waste of money.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The mattress that came with our Coachmen was like sleeping on a pool table. We bought a Zinus bed-in-a-box from Amazon, and couldn't be more pleased with it. They are available in queen or RV queen.

Note that if you have room to extent the bed platform, a regular length queen is usually cheaper than a short queen, and your feet won't hang over the end of the bed.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
Sleep number didn't work well for us, but luckily we found a company at the Tampa RV show last year that makes custom mattresses that fit your pedestal exactly. We just measured and sent them the measurements and they delivered a mattress a few weeks later. This is only worth it if you full-time.

http://www.comfortcustombedding.com/

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
We have used two bed-in-a-box and been quite satisfied. We so missed our tempurpedic that we recently changed to one of them. We full time so finally bit the bullet. No foundation was needed because 6 months ago I installed an adjustable frame. It took some modifications but it sure is nice.

Even if you have a short queen you might be able to use a regular size. Things could be a bit tight but might be worth measuring.

We have to raise the end of the bed before pulling the sides in. Just a bit but it is electric so not an issue.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
www.verlo.com
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago we ordered a short queen on overstock. It was a firm foam and we put a 2" memory foam topper on top of that. It is actually more comfortable than the bed at home.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I looked on the Internet and at a map, and based on the city in your profile, there are a good number of custom mattress factories within 50 miles of you. Check them out, and get exactly want you want.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
when we needed a new mattress, there was(is?) a mattress factory over close in Jackson, TN. we went there, and they made up one especially to fit out MH. The salesman also owned an RV,so he knew exactly what we wanted. As our bed in that MH was in the center, he knew that we would be sitting on the bottom edge, and less often on the sides, so he built extra support on the bottom edge, and a bit more on the side. At the factory sales floor, we got to try our every style and firmness they sould make, and selected exactly what we wanted. Two days later, we went back over and his men installed it and removed the old one for us. And it still cost a lot less than store retail. So look around the local area, and on the internet for a mattress company in your area. Mattresses are expensive to ship, so many areas have local manufacturers.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.