Sales of RVs are slipping: news
20 REPLIES 20

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
ZINGERLITE wrote:
Tin-bender wrote:
I look around as I travel and I think; Jeezee we have to be reaching a saturation point here pretty soon. There are RV's of every discription parked and stored everywhere. I'm talking about the already sold units parked in storage yards, house yards, fields, campgrounds, RV parks, driveways, and on the streets. There is just a huge amount of them out there. Then there are all the "beyond usable condition" units left on the side of back roads and in fields everywhere.

Perhaps it is time the industry slowed a little.

I make note of this as well. Brand new trucks and campers in most campsites. tons of campers clogging up the freeway on the weekends. I also live in an area with alot of lakes. Theres seems to be a saturation of $180k+ wakeboard/surf boats. Everyone has a brand new pontoon ect.... seems too good to be true!
Saw a lot of the same right before the last big bust. ATV sales places all around town, toys for everyone, then poof.

I used to snowmobile a lot more. We loved riding during the last recession. the trails were always empty. Hotels were cheap and plentiful. It was great! BUT i was early 20's and lived at home. The next one probably won't be so fun as an adult lol.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
Tin-bender wrote:
I look around as I travel and I think; Jeezee we have to be reaching a saturation point here pretty soon. There are RV's of every discription parked and stored everywhere. I'm talking about the already sold units parked in storage yards, house yards, fields, campgrounds, RV parks, driveways, and on the streets. There is just a huge amount of them out there. Then there are all the "beyond usable condition" units left on the side of back roads and in fields everywhere.

I make note of this as well. Brand new trucks and campers in most campsites. tons of campers clogging up the freeway on the weekends. I also live in an area with alot of lakes. Theres seems to be a saturation of $180k+ wakeboard/surf boats. Everyone has a brand new pontoon ect.... seems too good to be true!
Saw a lot of the same right before the last big bust. ATV sales places all around town, toys for everyone, then poof.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Of course not everyone agrees that the end is near...

Home Depot CFO doesn't see a recession coming

Dave

Of course he does not see any slowdown, his main job is to sell the company to the big money changers, so as to boost the stock prices, so his golden safety net is very secure.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
wont take much to pop this bubble.(not just for rv's here) and it will be a big blow.
time for this nation to slowdown big time, take a couple breaths, look around and then just walk... not sprint.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Tin-bender wrote:

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Of course not everyone agrees that the end is near...

Home Depot CFO doesn't see a recession coming

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
There might be some truth to this thought. However, there IS a lot of recession noise going around currently, so until the politicians get done blabbering, let's just get a beverage and watch the slap fight.

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
"RVs can range in price from about $12,000 for a folding camping trailer to $212,000 for a high-end motor home ..." some real in depth research there! Not!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
"RVs can range in price from about $12,000 for a folding camping trailer to $212,000 for a high-end motor home ..." some real in depth research there! Not!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We sold a surprising number of RV's at our show this past weekend given the temps were in triple digits. RV sales aren't slipping where I work. Guess the economy really is doing well.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Huge inventories in South Texas. Oil field workers are still buying like crazy. Most people know that interest rates are low, fuel is cheap, and inflation is right around the corner. Good time to lock in a deal.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what happened, but my local dealership (Modern Trailer) in Anderson, Indiana has an overflow lot at the front of their property, probably 5 acres or more? Anyway, last year the lot was filled up to the max with new units, in addition to the units on the main lot. They even acquired property across the road where folks could store their RV over the winter. I mean... lots of growth.

About 2 weeks ago when I went by there (just 5 miles from my home), I noticed about all of those units in the overflow area were gone. I drove by again just yesterday, and that front lot is now completely empty. I'm not sure what happened to all those units. They've just disappeared.

Signs of the times? Don't know. There aren't any RV shows going on right now which they would haul them all to? Lot empty now. Make me wonder what's going on.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in the Goshen, IN. earlier this summer. Could not believe how many units were sitting in fields with grass growing up around them.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995