Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Septic Holding Tank that's portable?

Nanidh12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, everyone.
I bought a trailer recently that I use full-time that's parked in the backyard of my sisters home, and I have some concerns about the black water.

I try not to use my bathroom in the trailer because I currently don't have my truck so I can't take it to dumping sites, but It's not 2/3 Full and the very close to being full. I was doing research and I found some portable Septic Holding tank that's 250 gallons. We have a septic system but it does not have hooks up, and the place that we use to empty said they will empty the trailer but it's at an expensive price since they are coming all this way to drain a trailer, so my question is ...

Does anyone have any experience with portable septic holding tanks? I have provided a link below of the one I am looking at.

Any advice will be great, I just don't know what else to do and I don't want it to fill up and then I have a huge mess in my hands. Thank you to all!

https://www.ntotank.com/250gallon-nto-black-above-ground-septic-holding-tank-x9470922
15 REPLIES 15

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just 30' to the septic system? Seems like you really over-complicating this. As already said, just get you 30' of sewer hose (or PVC pipe as one person suggested), and connect the trailer's sewer drain directly to your septic tank clean out.

No need to make it any more complicated than that, especially if its a downhill or level run to the septic tank. If its uphill, then the macerator pump and 3/4" hose would be the way to go. Still would be way cheaper and easier than using a huge, heavy tote tank.

You are fortunate, really. I have much more difficult situation at my house. RV is parked about 100' from septic system clean out, and it (RV) is at bottom of the hill, so its uphill getting to the sewer clean out. Nobody lives in the RV while parked at home, but there are times when we get back from camping trips that I need to empty the black tank.

I bought a 42 gallon 4 wheel Barker tote tank for this. Works OK, but lugging that tote tank 100' up the hill when its full, is brutal! Took two of us to do it and it was not fun, haha. Have only done it once, and decided then that there must be a better way. Thinking of rigging up some ropes and pulleys to pull the tank up the hill, since there's plenty of trees around to anchor to. Still thinking on that one, but point is, your situation is much simpler than mine. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two options I've used
Portable toilet like the 5 gallon job listed above
And a Barker "Blue boy" Waste tote. they come in assorted sizes and some of the larger sizes have a handle that will fit over a common trailer hitch ball (you don't need a big heavy truck to tow it you could use a small compact car. You do need a hitch and ball) I had I think a 10 gallon and (15 has a hitch adapter optional 20 and up standard) and modified the 15 gallon adapter to use with it. but I can carry 10 gallons if I must. (I can carry 15 if I must). it's just easier to tow 'em. I suggest one that is at least as large as the black tank.

I used mine for Gray water in my trailer days and the 5 gallon port-potty for blaCK.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If it's only 30' to the septic tank, you can add a 4" clean out in the line from the house by just digging down to the pipe at the closest point to the trailer and installing a 4"sanitary 'Y' fitting. Run a short riser to ground level with a 4" clean out cap on top. If the new "dump port" is downhill from the trailer drain, just add enough sewer hose and an elbow to reach it, otherwise use a macerator as already suggested.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
From someone who as done all of these suggestion at variuos times and places, Go for the macerator and 3/4" hose, (you can use a 5/8", but get the larger, it is really worth it).
If your conditions change, this will adapt to them.

Tom
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

dedmiston
If you aren't comfortable with running the hose 30' to the cleanout and don't want to pay for a macerator, you can use a portable blue tote and lug it over there 10-20 gallons at a time. It's no fun, but it's also pretty cheap.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keep It Simple...If a downhill run, just get a long sewer hose. If uphill, get a macerator pump
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
30'? Just run your sewage hose to it. Or, get some 3" ABS pipe and slap it together (don't even need glue).

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Nanidh12 wrote:

The septic tank is about 30 feet away from my trailer. I just wanted to see if that for the moment if anyone had experience with these types of tanks.

If you're just going to dump it in the septic tank anyway, if it's a flat 30 foot run, I'd just get 30 feet of sewer hose or a macerator and avoid the portable tank completely.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
How close are you to the house?
With a macerator pump (garbage disposal for your black tank), you even run the garden hose up and into a first floor toilet. Just duct tape up the hoseโ€™s threaded end to protect the porcelain and feed the hose into and up through the the toiletโ€™s S trap a foot or so.
Not so popular with Sis as using a septic clean out access, but still workable and can be fairly clean.
Black, then gray tanks, then flush clean water through the macerator. They have an inlet on the side.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
If you donโ€™t mind dumping 5 gallons at a time you can buy a portable toilet and just use the bottom half to dump into. The hose fits perfectly into the valve and you just pour it into the house toilet. I use this to empty my tank when I get home. Takes a couple of trips but itโ€™s cheap and easy.

Sonething like this

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

lampooner
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit has the right idea in terms of cost and usefulness

"Buy a Flojet Portable Macerator Pump and a 3/4" garden hose in length needed to reach the cleanout
Then Dump/pimp your Waste tanks...black then grey into the clean out"
Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

Nanidh12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. So I had a truck, but there's something wrong with the engine and that may take time to fix and lots of money, so that's why I can't go to a dumping ground. Theres a company we use for the septic tank that said they can come and empty my trailer, but I don't want to have to have them come out so often.

The septic tank is about 30 feet away from my trailer. I just wanted to see if that for the moment if anyone had experience with these types of tanks.

I usually use the restroom in the main house, but I had family members over who used my restroom in the trailer, even thought I asked for them to use the main house causing it to get full.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hose close is the Sewer/Septic Cleanout at your Sisters place?

Buy a Flojet Portable Macerator Pump and a 3/4" garden hose in length needed to reach the cleanout
Then Dump/pimp your Waste tanks...black then grey into the clean out
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Maybe I don't fully understand your solution but doesn't that just transfer your problem to the portable holding tank? How will you dump that? Remember your RV doesn't have a septic system, they are holding tanks and so is this portable one. So without dumping your blank tank in the RV or this "portable" one it will just continue to break down waste and stink to high heaven. Not sure how portable a full 250 gallon tank is - would weigh about 2,000 lbs. If you have a septic system at the house you could add a cleanout to it for less than the cost of this portable tank. For that matter you could get quite a few runs from a honey wagon for the price of a portable holding tank. Maybe I am missing it, but this doesn't really solve your problem. Seems like it creates a new problem. I think the purchase of this trailer was a bit ready, shoot, aim without considering this issue would come up.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS