cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Setting the Trailer Brake Controller

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
When setting the trailer brake controller, how much pull is acceptable on the TV when braking? I ask cause I went through a set of trailer brakes in 1,600 mile, most of which were highway miles. The gain on the factory brake controller was set at 8. During the travels, I felt the trailer pull the truck when braking but ending recall the trailer tires locking up.

With the new brakes, Iโ€™ve lowered the gain to 7. In my short travel, I do t feel the tug on the tv when breaking and donโ€™t feel pushed either. Just wondering if I should go lower on the gain.

The trailer is a 40โ€™ 5th wheel toy hauler scaled at 15,000lbs being pulled by a 1 ton srw duramax.

Thanks
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Properly setup you should feel like you are driving the TV solo.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Todd...x2...I like the trailer to lead the TV in braking
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
This obviously is just my opinion. I prefer a โ€œslightโ€ tug on the TV. This way I am certain that in slick ( rain, snow, ice) conditions, the trailer brakes will help keep everything in a โ€œstraight lineโ€. If the truck is providing more ( even slightly more) braking, under the previously mentioned conditions, the possibility of a โ€œjackknifeโ€ is increased. Iโ€™d prefer to replace the trailer brakes a little more often, than find myself in a โ€œjackknifeโ€ situation. However, I do want to emphasize......a โ€œslightโ€ tug on the TV! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, the last part is a silver lining for sure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they are drum brakes. I did drop the gain down to 6 and seemed to be doing fine. Took the trailer on a trip and checked the drum temps and 3 of the 4 were around 150 and the 4th drum was closer to 170 degrees.

All 4 brakes were changed out. Drums and all. Jayco replaced them under warranty and I had a Camping World do the work. It was a very good Camping World experience.
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"setting gain way too high will work the H out of new magnets"

Where does he say they are drum brakes???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
You should not feel much difference between trailer being towed on not towing. If you have been towing and feeling a tug, that is way too high. Since the trailer brakes have been abused, better check them.

Sounds like he already replaced them.

I know, but setting gain way too high will work the H out of new magnets that haven't had a chance to seat. I'm sure that you have seen badly grooved armatures on almost new brakes.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disk or drum brakes???

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ugeesta wrote:
With the new brakes, Iโ€™ve lowered the gain to 7. In my short travel, I do t feel the tug on the tv when breaking and donโ€™t feel pushed either. Just wondering if I should go lower on the gain.
I would go lower until you feel a push then go up one to be close to neutral or very slight pull. Easy to dial in too much trailer brakes when all is working well as it gives a good easy braking feel. Or accept the brakes will need replaced more often. Best stopping distance is about neutral.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
As said, you should not feel the trailer pulling the truck back.
Your level of braking effort by the truck with the trailer attached should "feel" similar to the braking effort required when running bobtail.

Couple things to consider.
1. You show you're in Denver, so presuming most of the miles are in the mountains?
2. Brand new trailer, can you confirm that the brakes weren't dragging? Did all 4? brakes wear out. How bad were they? Presume you saw them?
3. I'd start out low and dial them up as needed. Or something was wrong. Presume you have some experience towing and weren't riding the brakes down every pass.

In my experience, one has to put alot of miles on the wear out trailer brakes. One of our work trailers, pulled by....everyone, overloaded enough to flatten the springs in 2 years is still on orig brakes. Personal trailers over the years, way more miles than what you got and plenty of mountain driving, I havent replaced a set of brakes yet.
Something is amiss.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
You should not feel much difference between trailer being towed on not towing. If you have been towing and feeling a tug, that is way too high. Since the trailer brakes have been abused, better check them.

Sounds like he already replaced them.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I mess with my adjustment until I feel the trailer is not pushing or pulling on the truck.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Way back when my dealer tested the setting on a gravel driveway. If the controller is set too high the wheels will drag on the gravel. We ended up with a setting of 6.5 which has worked since.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)