cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer drain is lower than the dump drain.

cdbird86
Explorer
Explorer
How can I rig up something to drain our sewer? The drain hose goes up instead of slanting down on the dump station.
19 REPLIES 19

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This is a problem that all owners of coaches like mine face. (once 12K+ now only about 9K after 40+ years) Many have installed macerator pumps and dealt with the reliability that is way lower than gravity. I thought about carrying a portable macerator of some kind, but without any external storage, I would not know where to keep it. Most of the better campgrounds have the dump at grade, so they are no problem. If we are at a campground (we rarely are) and they have the pipe sticks up, I look for another slip to go to.

In short, I don't have any good answer for you.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Macerator Thread I mentioned
Just click here

(it is what I use when that happens though the thread was started by someone else)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I had this situation at a state Park in Oregon this summer. The sewer drain was 12" above the ground.
When I drained the tanks most of the effluent ran into the sewer inlet, but the drain hose on the ground still was full. I made sure the hose was well connected on both ends and lifted the hose from the trailer end up and drained it into the sewer pipe. I had to do it several times to completly drain the tank.
When I was done I unhooked from the trailer and carefully washed it out.
Only a few of the sites had this elevated drain??

jesseannie

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a pretty low black drain on my trailer. I have had a number of cases where the campground provided clean out at the site was above the ground. If you run the hose directly to this outlet the last 5 or so feet are below the outlet.

I followed a suggestion I read here about getting a 10 foot plastic rain gutter and cut it into a 4 and 6 foot section. I use these to make a ramp. I have yet to ever camp at a spot where the outlet is actually above my black tank drain. If this happened a lot I might look into a macerator but would rather not spend the money just so I can carry another piece of equipment I would seldom use. Been doing this since the 80's without any impossible issues.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happened to me once, last Sept. You have two choices:

1. get a macerator pump

2. let the hose fill up then walk it from the RV to the dump station, over and over and over. That eventually empties the tank. It is what I did.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a problem just at the place where you are now, or is it a constant problem? A photo would help illustrate the problem, since I can't see how the sewer drain would be lower than the dump drain.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I've been at sites where the sewer tap is high, but never higher than the bottom of the tanks. The stuff still flows, and if what's sitting in the slinky is an issue just drain the hose hand over hand or build a bridge.

Bingo, just like a p-trap, as long as the bottom of tank is higher than cleanout... Just be careful when disconnecting the hose and remember to elevate the end when you disconnect so contents of the hose drains...
Inquiring minds want to know...

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I've been at sites where the sewer tap is high, but never higher than the bottom of the tanks. The stuff still flows, and if what's sitting in the slinky is an issue just drain the hose hand over hand or build a bridge.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is another thread here about the Flojet macerator pump.

Also known as the answer to your problem.. I've used one for that situation. The very model in the thread.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

WVcampground
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
length as needed of plastic rain gutter. Place a slinky bridge and/or rocks under as necessary. 10 foot section, cut to make a 6 foot or a 4 foot. carry both, one or the other will usually work. May need velcro straps to hold slinky in place.

That still does not overcome plumbers rule #1 if point A is higher than point B. S##t runs downhill.
"Now the Subaru with the โ€œcoexistโ€ sticker on the back doing 68 mph passing a semi thatโ€™s going 67mph in a 70 zone. Yeah Iโ€™ll slap the entitlement tag on them leaf lickers!" - Grit Dog - Warning, you may find the preceding offensive if you lick leaves.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I have had that with my Airstream because it sits so low. I ask for another space. I have never seen a "dump station" that is raised.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, you must be scraping every driveway you encounter. Suggest you donโ€™t try boondocking.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
cdbird86 wrote:
How can I rig up something to drain our sewer? The drain hose goes up instead of slanting down on the dump station.

Johno02's suggestion is what I do. Is your rv connection higher than the ground connection?
Originally, my connection was close to the ground (about 11" off the ground). I reconfigured the rv connection for better height.
Can you post a picture of your rv connection?
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about rebuilding it to be more correct? Seems like something that youโ€™d want fixed once, so it would be easier to use from now on.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member