cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shipping Heavy

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if anyone order a fifthwheel hitch , or other awkward towing equiptment, and how was it shipped. I'm trying to sell my 5er sliding hitch on EBAy, and I put local pickup only, but nobody can read, so I might have to ship it some how if I'm going to get rid of it. I haven't weighed it, but maybe 180lbs.with rails? I can't remember how it cam when I received it many moons ago.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er
13 REPLIES 13

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Try calling UPS Freight You can spec optional services like liftgate req'd, residential, etc.
I'd bolt it to a pallet, shrink wrap it and have them pick it up.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greyhound will also ship if it will fit in a bus bay.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Try USHIP?? You may find a bidder/shipper who would deliver it for you there's a tv show called shipping wars I think on A & E and customers ship stuff allover.... Just a thought
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperpaul wrote:
camping man wrote:
Thanks guys, I kind of though freight or local pickup would be the only route to take. Some folks think UPS would handle this, but I've never seen two UPS drivers carrying a package to someones door.:h

UPS and Fed-X both have an 80 lb. limit.

Incorrect.

FedEx Freight will pickup at your door if it is skidded and banded or shrink wrapped, up to 2500 lbs without authorization, heavier if you call for authorization.
FedEx Freight rate and transit times

It's likely going to be too expensive. I priced out a skid of 190 lbs, 48"x40"x36" going from Seattle to Cincy and it was $687 for 5 day service (their slowest and cheapest).
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
camping man wrote:
Thanks guys, I kind of though freight or local pickup would be the only route to take. Some folks think UPS would handle this, but I've never seen two UPS drivers carrying a package to someones door.:h

Don't know about Fed-X but this is from the UPS website,

Packages can be up to 150 lbs (70 kg).
Packages can be up to 165 inches (419 cm) in length and girth combined.
Packages can be up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length.
Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations.
JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
camping man wrote:

You won't see the truck driver lifting it either. That job, between customer and truck, is handled by your shipping agent and/or the guys in the freight terminal. I had that terminal job one summer, driver's job ends when he backs up to the dock and opens his door.

If not delivering to a terminal, loading and unloading is the customer's job. Been stuck there two, when somebody at district HQ sent me a 400 pound safe, truck is sitting in the parking lot driver wants me to take my safe off his truck.

Try to find a freight agent that can handle the load for recipient pickup, home delivery doesn't always work for heavy stuff.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
camping man wrote:

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPS Freight will deliver just about anything. They delivered two electric pallet jacks (~450lbs each) where I work, and two 12' Sunsetter awnings to my mother.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Shipping by motor freight only.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
We've sold a hitch and had it shipped. We lived in Anchorage, AK at the time, and the hitch needed to be flown to Nome, AK. All we had to do was take the hitch to NAF at Ted Stevens, give them the buyer's name and cell phone #, and their staff did the rest. We never put it on a pallet or anything. Doubt the process is that simple in the lower 48, though...

One note, too. We were paid, in cash, by the buyer's friend in Anchorage. No way would I have parted with the hitch if I was given a check or money order. I've never done Paypal, so I can't comment on that.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

deereone
Explorer
Explorer
You might agree to meet up to 300 miles for whatever is handy for you to help. You can also strap it to a pallet and there are shipping companies that will come pick it up and deliver. Make sure you know the cost to ship and make sure your customer pays the shipping.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I sell heavy stuff and awkward stuff..like our last hitch and a bicycle on Craig's List...all local.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro