Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shipping vehicle into Mexico.

jonhanks
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all you R.V's out there,

I am looking to ship my vehicle from Japan to Manzanillo, Mexico next month and wonder if anyone has any experience or knows of others who have.

My main concern is the clearance of the vehicle at the port, some people seem to think that there is no mechanism for temporary import by sea and only at the land border. Others seem to think others have done it and so I have been put on to you and your wealth of collective knowledge.

I am a British passport holder and plan to temporary import into Mexico and then drive up to U.S. I know it would be easier etc to ship into Canada or the U.S, but for my own reasons I am planning to travel with the vehicle on ship and this is the easiest option as long as I can clear the port on arrival.

One other thing is regarding insurance. I have looked at Mex-pro and wonder if there is anyone else worth checking out and what considerations for the level of cover I need to think of in Mexico.

I would greatly appreciate any help, advice or contacts that you could share with me.

With many thanks and best wishes,

Jon
20 REPLIES 20

jonhanks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tequila for the link that I picked up from both the places you posted it for me.

With regard the TIP - it seems that only Canadians and Americans can get it online in advance. I read that yesterday somewhere and verified it by checking the link you gave. You can only put one of those two countries as your place of residence. I guess I'll just have to get it at Manzanillo Port on arrival.

This brings me to my second point. I looked through the website you sent the link for, but I could not find anything that discussed arriving into Mexico with a vehicle by sea, which is my planned mode of transport. As I mentioned above, I plan to be on the same vessel as my car. However, some information regarding simple shipping in by container would be helpful as at least that would give me some ideas about difficulties I may face vis a vis foreign vehicle importation. Maybe I missed it, that would not be the first time if I have.

Also, noted your info on right hand drive. Seems it is legal, but may be excuse for extortion by transito (traffic cop, I presume). I will take your advice and try to find something on it, that way I can p*** on the bonfire immediately. I seemed to manage OK in Russia with the cops doing the same so look forward to encountering the Mexican traffic police to see how they compare.

I'll also check out the other insurance options you mention and ensure I get the 1/2 million cover with lawyer, baker and candlestick maker thrown in.

As for the indicator, that is very much the same as in many Asian countries, but often they are obviously passing on my right, Mexico it will be the left. Noted the no turn right on red light also very good to know.

I'll stay clear of Ciudad Juarez, but to be honest I don't buy into all the fear and paranoia, some propagate. That is not to say I am reckless, I am not, but I certainly won't avoid anywhere, unless, perhaps, there is all out anarchy.

Thanks again for the help and advice, if you do know anything about the shipping, or if I have missed it on your web page then please let me know.

Best wishes

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can tell right hand drive cars are legal, but I am betting you will get pulled over at some point, so i would look for some regs in Spanish regarding it to show them.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for all the fear mongers here. Ignore them, most are couch surfers. What you need to do is apply for a TIP on line as Rob mentioned. you will need the original registration for the vehicle and you will get a 180 day permit. Here is the link you need to follow.

TIP on line

Do not forget to cancel it when you exit Mexico. You cannot do it at all border crossings.
Your big issue may be that you can only apply within 60 days of the permit being valid. that may be an issue if timing means you have to bring the car in with some of the 180 days already expired.That is legal but will cut down on your time there.

As far as insurance is concerned, there are many companies. Mexpro is one of them, also Lewis & Lewis, Don Smith, among others. Shop around for the one that suits you best. Make sure you have a legal rider (they provide a lawyer) and that you have $500k liability.

You will have to pay a deposit on the car ranging form $200-$400 depending on its year. You have to use a credit card or US dollars and you will get it back when the vehicle leaves Mexico.

BTW on edit regarding the fear mongering. Statistically an American citizen has twice the chance of being murdered in his own country than he does in Mexico.(Link) A higher proportion of Canadian tourists (based on visit-nights) are murdered in Australia than they are in Mexico.(Link) Most murders in Mexico are targeted. Unless you are Mexico to buy drugs, your risk is low. Your risk of being a victim of property crime is higher, however. The murder rates in the 2 largest cities, Mexico City & Guadalajara, are lower than about 40 American cities. Just stay out of Cuidad Juarez

Oh, and don't turn right on a red, and be aware that your left hand turn signal means its OK to pass you to the guy behind. if your car has the drive on the other side, be prepared to get shaken down by a transito who may tell you its illegal. Maybe it is, I would check.

jonhanks
Explorer
Explorer
Again, many, many thanks for all your posts with advice and links.

To clarify, I hope to ship into Manzanillo at the beginning of September, leaving Japan around the 25th August next month. I plan to be onboard with the car, hence why I am stuck on this route, otherwise I'd send to the U.S or Canada and fly in. The ship I plan on also carries a limited number of passengers, the only vessel leaving from Japan that is convenient to do so. A fair amount of work involved, but saving on a journey to S Korea to do likewise.

With regard to the documents needed for bringing my vehicle into Mexico, I have the UK registration paper for the car and international and UK driving licences. Insurance I will try to get before arrival and ensure that it is a good policy which provides all cover I need. If anyone has any advice on cover provided: legal help, level of third party liability etc then I would be happy to hear what people think.

Other documentation: temporary import permit I can get either on arrival or in advance I gather. This has a $44 dollar fee, plus a refundable $200 deposit attached (my car was manufactured in 1987 so the lesser of the three amounts quoted for differing ages).

Otherwise my present concern is with making contact with a company/customs clearing agent who can confidently help me clear my vehicle from the port in Manzanillo and get me on the road north. Thanks Remoandiris for the link to NEX who i'll call later when business opens again in the U.S and see if they can help put me in touch with a good agent there. I don't want to just arrive and say, 'Hello, i'm here'. I'm sure Manzanillo is very nice, but I don't want to set up residency there whilst I clear customs. As we say in UK, 'Prior preparation prevents p*** poor performance' and effort made in advance always pays off.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have shipped into Mexico on TIP, but that number is no doubt dwarfed by the volume of people arriving by land from the U.S and finding someone who has concrete experience to relay in this matter is a little more difficult to lay your hands on. However, I will persevere with the link and continue to approach others in the same way I always do, like a dog with a bone he won't drop.

Thanks to Cekkk, Lotsofstuff and Robatthelake for the advice. I think I'm on top of the document side of things, but if you can spot any omissions I'd be happy to have them pointed out to me. You are right to advise caution in travel to Mexico, like everywhere else really. My government may or may not have advisories on travel to Mexico, but I know they have them for other areas where they advise not to travel: Indian Kashmir, Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan; all countries that I happily travelled through whilst simultaneously exercising the right amount and degree of caution, sensing the situation in the present moment and responding appropriately and always taking in to account up to date local knowledge. This is always more difficult as we often don't allow ourselves the opportunity to do so because of some unfounded, excessive fear or paranoia that prevents us getting that close.

Thanks also to Gmcsmoke, but wonder in case of problems going down this route, could you expand on the coyote option?

Thanks once again everyone,

Jon

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
If You are currently at an address where the TIP can be easily shipped You may be able to obtain the necessary permit by courier!
Failing that you will not have a problem provided that You have the current registration when the vehicle is off loaded at Manzanillo.
Mexico is not some third world country that makes things difficult for lawful visitors!
When are You expecting to arrive?
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
This thread should be in the RVing in Mexico and South America forum.

Many believe Mexico to be very dangerous. I have been to Mexico twice in my RV and loved it.
In 2010 and this last winter in Baja.

There is a sticky in the RVing in Mexico and South America forum that talks about Legal requirements.
However it's is geared to U. S. border crossing. Your Shipping agent should be able to help.

In 2010 I met a Swiss couple in Mexico who had shipped there RV from Europe to Argentina.
Then spent 10 months touring South America before heading north through Mexico.

We have stayed in Manzanillo and then inland at Guadalajara, Loved them both.
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Your questions indicate, to me at least, that you are unsure of many things that lie ahead and that you should do a lot of research. You must learn about all the documents Mexico requires to allow you and your car in. Any omission will be difficult to overcome once there. Research how and when to drive, what areas are safe and which areas to avoid.

And then there is this:

"Travel Warnings are issued when long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable lead the State Department to recommend that Americans avoid or consider the risk of travel to that country. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff. The countries listed below meet those criteria.

Saudi Arabia 07/25/2013
Mali 07/18/2013
Yemen 07/16/2013
Niger 07/15/2013
Mexico 07/12/2013..."

You will want to see what your country's position is.

I like it there, it's a fascinating country. But it's changed drastically in the last several years and requires preparation and care that I didn't find necessary twenty years ago. Let us know how it goes.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I know a coyote if you don't want to go the legal route.

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this company can answer some of your questions.

http://www.shipnex.com/International-Car-Shipping/Mexico
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
This should have been moved to the "RVing in Mexico" forum. You might ask the Mod to move it there.

jonhanks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your message, but could you be more specific - 'red flags' what does that actually mean? Mexico is not user friendly, also, could you be more specific with that so I don't have to imagine what you mean?

Many thanks once again for taking the time to post information for me. It is appreciated,

Jon

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
You need to proceed with extreme caution. Your post raises many red flags. Mexico is not user friendly.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

jonhanks
Explorer
Explorer
U.S is not the issue that why my question pertains to Mexico.

My vehicle is 25 years old, so U.S - open door. Canada - I have carnet de passage so ditto.

I'm looking for anyone with info re - ship import into Mexico on temporary permit.

Thanks all for the comments, I'll defo check baja nomads, thanks.

Jon

cocos_cabana
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of info if you read the Baja Nomads forum. Google baja nomads