cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I convert my Gooseneck to a 5th wheel pin?

tooldad1041
Explorer
Explorer
My son and I along with a couple of his buddies have converted a 32ft gooseneck cargo trailer into a toy hauler. We are running 22k fully loaded with the atvs and camping gear, about 17500 empty. It's a commerical gooseneck style trailer. No issues with the truck pulling (knock on wood it stays that way).

I have the B&W turnover and can get a companion 5th wheel hitch for the truck. It is a pain to get into the truck to hook everything up especially when solo.

I have thought about inserting a 5th wheel tube in the gooseneck and using a 5th wheel hitch. My son's only counter argument is the weight of the hitch to install. I am looking at ride quality and ease of hookup.

The only issue I see is our lake/storage lot I have to go down the driveway, then turn left and up a hill. so there is a little bit of side to side action the trailer has to be able to maneuver.

all the research/googling etc shows to convert 5th to gn, and only sales videos about gn to 5th.

thoughts please.

thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it's worth the conversion as others have said, you'd be over the weight rating of the companion hitch.

Stick with the gooseneck and get something like this wireless camera for hitching to make alignment easier.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both types of trailers and hitches and both kinds of conversions. When I had one of each type of trailer I put a king pin post in the gooseneck trailer because that was a WAY better choice than doing a gooseneck conversion on a fifth wheel trailer. If I only owned a gooseneck trailer and already had the turnover ball, I wouldn't even consider changing it all to fifth wheel. I cut a block of wood and put a dowel pin straight up in the center and put that in front of the gooseneck ball so I could see the dowel pin in the mirror whenever I hooked up and I could hit the right spot every time. I also do that with my fifth wheel trailer because the hitch is too low to see in the rearview mirror. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Andersen Ultimate gooseneck mounted hitch. Best of both worlds, in my opinion.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel camper and 2 gooseneck trailers. I have been thinking about changing the other 2 trailers to 5th wheel but I am just too concerned about my B&W 5th wheel hitch having enough movement for some of the places I take the trailers. If it wasn't for that, I would have already set them up

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
For less money and weight, how about developing some hitching aids? Back when I had a stock trailer I set up two potato chip bag clips with dowel rods sticking out of them (one on the trailer, one on the truck) such that I would be lined up left to right while backing. I could then get pretty close to the back up alignment by watching to distance between the sticks. After hitching up goosenecks or fifth wheels for 25 years, I still, usually, have to take a couple of swipes at it before things are well enough aligned--that back axle just doesn't want to jump side to side very quickly. There also are cameras and other hitching aids available commercially.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up with gooseneck construction and horse trailers, I agree with your son. I see no benefit to that modification. My opinion - maybe worth the price ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, it would be nice to have a FW hitch for ease of hitching. The single point attaching Companion is rated for 20K, which you will exceed. Yes, the hitch is heavy to handle for one person, and a bit of a pain putting in/taking out, on a regular basis.

You don't mention what truck, but sounds like you may be near limits there also. I'm thinking only you can decide, what you are comfortable with, when approaching limits, or maybe just over limit of hitch.

Jerry