cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we cancel Myrtle Beach Trip

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip booked to Myrtle Beach Starting September 8th. This trip was scheduled in October of last year.

There are three couples going all in sperate RV's. We are booked at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park.

We keep hearing that Myrtle Beach is a hotspot etc in the media but when asking others they say it isn't as bad as what is being reported.

We have to make a final decision by Sept 1st and was wondering if anyone has gone and can give a realistic report on what things are like there

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
28 REPLIES 28

dedmiston
I think this has gone long enough.

Closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
At some point the entire country or world for that matter will have had it. This is nature at work! There is nothing we can do to stop nature. Just live with it and move on. It will come and go just like the flu season eventually. I for one have been working since th very beginning, getting in and out of 10 or so cars a day for the last 5 months. I have not gotten sick. No one I know has. It's being used at this point as a scare tactic. And for som it is working. For most people they can see right through it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
6.9 is a national percentage. Some states ran into the high teens and some were less than 5.
In the end the choice to go is a personal choice just don't infect someone I care about.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
With this virus my advice sir is take on chances.
I listen often to folks who say "We don't need masks" or even "masks are harmful" (we do and they are not) Who claim "The death rate is over blown" (Under counted is more likely I will explain that) I don't believe them.

This is one virus I have no desire to mess with.

The death count.
One "Study" looked at what I call the average death rate. Baring somethign like 9-11-2001 you can predict how many deaths year to date for any given day of the year and it will be fairly close.. WHY Because people die at about the same rate less something happens.

So if you count dead bodies. NOT COVID but all dead bodies.. Subtract the normal year body count. what you have left is the "Extras due to ____" (Whatever the disaster of the week is) in this case COVID-19.

160,000 +_ is the official count
The method I just gave is about 200,000 last I checked.

As the Office supervisor said when a phone rang then stopped"
IT's just the fax mam. Just the Fax.

I know people that have had the virus, some have gotten very sick and a few have died. My 43 year old daughter in good health (urgent care medical assistant) got it and was sick for over a month. Lost of taste, smell, numbness over her whole body (skin), muscle aches/pains and severe fatigue.

My other daughter is an RN in a rehab center for the elderly. She saw more death in 3 months than in her whole 20 year career in nursing. This virus is really and for some people is very serious.

That said and as mentioned in my earlier post, I would still be making the trip but with caution.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with those that say make the trip. In my opinion as long as you practice distancing, wear a mask and be conscious of what you touch when you're out in public and stay away from crowded places you'll dramatically reduce your chances of getting the virus. We have trips planned to PA, VA, NC, GA and FL from now until the end of the year. We'll be cautious as we travel but nothing that's happened has raised the risk level to the point where we would cancel these plans.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
And Sturgis is in South Dakota, not North Dakota.

Yep.... I know, but typed it wrong and didn't proof read! ha, ha! Thanks!
LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III

Yep.... I know, but typed it wrong and didn't proof read! ha, ha! Thanks!
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Fjryder
I am wondering how you know you had it since you have never been tested.
I had nearly every symptom, loss of taste and smell, bad dreams upon falling asleep, severe fatigue, low grade fever, severe and uncontrollable dry coughing. Worst flu I ever had, and like nothing I've ever had in over 70 years.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Wrong again. Positive test 6.9% per John's Hopkins
Just depends, not all places test the same percentage. Pick and choose. I chose between 2-3%, but even at 6.9%, that works out to less than 1400 positives out of 20,000 people. Barely a blip. And a very low percentage of those positives will even show symptoms. As I said, a blip.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Wrong again. Positive test 6.9% per John's Hopkins

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Fjryder
I am wondering how you know you had it since you have never been tested.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
All those people in Sturgis will be going back to their state/city of residence. So it's very possible that some areas will see an increase in positive testing. Whether that leads to more sick people is anybody's guess. This thing is going to be around for a long time, either get used to it or just go into hiding.

And FWIW, if those people all were tested, and the testing runs as it normally does, there would be about 400 positive tests. Not necessarily sick people, just positive tests. Positive tests run about 2-3%.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do whatever you feel is right for yourself... No one here can tell you what to do, or if they do, you are just a lemming... 🙂

Can't wait to see what happens after the Sturgis ND motorcycle rally going on now with some 200,000 folks converging in a little town in ND..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer