cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We are actively planning for a business Armageddon in Montana. There is a serious potential that Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks will not open this year. If Covid19 continues to be an issue it will be completely irresponsible for those parks to open. Montana and Wyoming combined have around 1.6 million residents. Last year there were over 10 million visitations to those national parks. There is no possible way the medical facilities in the communities bordering those parks can handle an outbreak during peak visitation.
Should an outbreak occur, the standard practice of 7 to 14 days of self isolation would be nearly impossible since the vast majority of those visitors stay in hotels. The logistics of accommodating people needing to stay well beyond their reservation period would virtually be undoable.
We currently have a couple of weeks before we need to make season ending decisions. We are covering payroll for now, but in all honesty our employees will come out ahead if we just lay all of them off and allow them to draw unemployment, especially since we will have no need to rehire until next year should the parks be closed into July and August. Running many scenarios, we have concluded that if it appears the parks will be closed for a substantial portion of the high season (Mid June thru mid September) it will be better for us to completely close and not incur the costs of advertising, maintenance, repairs, labor, utilities and like. Plus, should the uncertainty linger much longer we expect to see visitation down a huge percentage. Visits to those parks are not spur of the moment trips. Thankfully, we have the financial ability to ride out a year. It will hurt, but we will make it. For many others, losing a full season, and thus a full year of income, will put them out of business permanently.
121 REPLIES 121

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
tommyznr wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
When you start publishing for public consumption about over 2 million people dying, you better be a little closer than off by 2.1 million lives.

That estimate was from London. I'm sure the 2.2M was what they felt would happen w Trump in charge after he said cv19 was going to disappear by April. In reality that estimate opened people's eyes to the potential disaster had we continued sitting on our hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrxYLvJYto

Instead many mayors and governors stepped in and slowed the spread.

QUOTING FUNCTION MESSED UP...........

You think they fudged the numbers because Trump is in charge? Please!

The mayors and governors are exactly who should have stepped in to provide local control base on their local information. If a state does not take responsibility then the feds should step in. I am not sure why so many think it should be different.

My statement was tongue in cheek, although Trump did manage to essentially hinder the start of the Federal response to the spread of cv19. And I find it ironic after doing virtually nothing to protect the country for 6 weeks he now claims "total authority."

The 2.2 million deaths predicted by that model was somebodies best guess based on what little was known then about cv19. The curve has been flattened since some states, cities, and counties took action that did have a very positive effect on reducing the spread and deaths. 20-20 hindsight is always so much easier than making a prediction on a pandemic don't you think?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
tommyznr wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
When you start publishing for public consumption about over 2 million people dying, you better be a little closer than off by 2.1 million lives.

That estimate was from London. I'm sure the 2.2M was what they felt would happen w Trump in charge after he said cv19 was going to disappear by April. In reality that estimate opened people's eyes to the potential disaster had we continued sitting on our hands.

The mayors and governors are exactly who should have stepped in to provide local control base on their local information. If a state does not take responsibility then the feds should step in. I am not sure why so many think it should be different.

My statement was tongue in cheek, although Trump did manage to essentially hinder the start of the Federal response to the spread of cv19. And I find it ironic after doing virtually nothing to protect the country for 6 weeks he now claims "total authority."

The 2.2 million deaths predicted by that model was somebodies best guess based on what little was known then about cv19. The curve has been flattened since some states, cities, and counties took action that did have a very positive effect on reducing the spread and deaths. 20-20 hindsight is always so much easier than making a prediction on a pandemic don't you think?

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
:S That's a stretch and it's well established that the government has the authority to isolate and quarantine, etc in a public health emergency. We've had a couple of hundred years of better minds than ours parsing the Constitution. Clearly things don't always mean what we think they do at a casual glance. Carry on.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
shelbyfv wrote:
bid_time wrote:
The Governors took away people basic constitutional rights
:hReally? Maybe you could provide a specific example with reference to the Constitution?
The right to freely assemble article 1

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
The Governors took away people basic constitutional rights
:hReally? Maybe you could provide a specific example with reference to the Constitution?

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
cptqueeg wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Unfortunately there are way to many stupid brain dead people that don't see it as the national emergency that it is. Thus putting all the intelligent people at risk.
Those intelligent people that you reference, are those the one that predicted 2.2 milllion deaths in the US, then decided they were wrong and revised it to 1 Million, then 200,000, then 100,000, then 60,000; are those the intelligent people you're referring to? Or are you referring to the sheeple that believe everything they say? The Governors took away people basic constitutional rights based on proven flawed information. Then rather than admit they were wrong, they doubled down.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

Sorry nobody has had practice at containing a pandemic before this one. Perhaps some consideration of the effect of social distancing, mask wearing, and closing/limiting business may have had on the original modeling done 6 weeks ago is in order. "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best" Benjamin Disraeli
But the whole point of my post was, that the governors relied on flawed info, then when they found out it was flawed instead of rethinkig their draconian measures, they doubled down.
Welcome to the 2nd Great Depression, enjoy your trip.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Unfortunately there are way to many stupid brain dead people that don't see it as the national emergency that it is. Thus putting all the intelligent people at risk.
Those intelligent people that you reference, are those the one that predicted 2.2 milllion deaths in the US, then decided they were wrong and revised it to 1 Million, then 200,000, then 100,000, then 60,000; are those the intelligent people you're referring to? Or are you referring to the sheeple that believe everything they say? The Governors took away people basic constitutional rights based on proven flawed information. Then rather than admit they were wrong, they doubled down.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

Sorry nobody has had practice at containing a pandemic before this one. Perhaps some consideration of the effect of social distancing, mask wearing, and closing/limiting business may have had on the original modeling done 6 weeks ago is in order. "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best" Benjamin Disraeli

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boon Docker wrote:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
olfarmer wrote:
This is so sad and I feel for all campground owners and everyone else that has their income cut off by this terrible virus. I do believe it is and should be a national emergency!

80.000 people died in the U.S. in 2017 of the flu! Which we have a vaccination for. And 22,000 have died of COVID-19 so far. Even if you keep that rate up itโ€™s going to be less. So I donโ€™t remember a national emergency in 2017!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
olfarmer wrote:
This is so sad and I feel for all campground owners and everyone else that has their income cut off by this terrible virus. I do believe it is and should be a national emergency!

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Can't wait till this is over so all the stupidity is gone.
It's true that natural selection could cull some of the stupid who persist in roaming around. :W

Yep! And Iโ€™m seeing plenty on TV everyday that we can do without!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!