cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side by side towing

rdh2230
Explorer
Explorer
I want to tow my side by side but without using another trailer. I would like to build a bracket on the back of a regular travel trailer that my front wheels would sit in. Then use a dolly or build free wheeling hubs that would attach to the back hubs of the side by side and put a set of small highway tires on it and transport. Has anyone ever heard of this?
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And $12-13k, not including the new hitch for the truck? Dump the TT and buy a toyhauler. At least youโ€™re spending your money on something that you know works and is actually marketable (very marketable) upon resale.
Shoot, the total expenditure for that giddyup is half the cost of the 4 year old never used basically new toyhauler we bought that would haul even the largest 4 seater buggy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And the Freedom hauler literature basically says it will be a handful behind a TT. As in donโ€™t even try it unless you have an Arrow or Propride hitch. Thatโ€™s enough to tell me it will make pulling a TT with another 2 tons of @ss back there wagging the dogs tail a real chore and that it may/will handle like a bag of d!cks.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
Check out swivelwheel

Those things are a maximum of 5โ€™ X 8โ€™ and 1,200 pounds, I think youโ€™d be hard pressed to find a SxS that small.

The Freedom Hauler is rated at 2600 lbs. Most if not all side by sides are under 2600.
The Freedom Hauler is not considered a trailer as it is a solid attachment to trailer thus sway is not an issue.

Freedom Hauler/Idaho Tote

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think any of the options above would be legal behind a travel trailer. Double-towing is only legal behind fifth wheels.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
WNYBob wrote:
Check out swivelwheel

Those things are a maximum of 5โ€™ X 8โ€™ and 1,200 pounds, I think youโ€™d be hard pressed to find a SxS that small.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
If you had read the OP, you would know he was asking about a TT, not a Motor home.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
What's your SxS? Is it a small RZR or a larger CanAm? I think either one would be too heavy to perch the front end on your moho's bumper. I'm no physicist, but the downward force of the SxS's front end and the rearward force of towing its rear end would pull your bumper apart.

Why don't you want a trailer? Plenty of friends in our camps have cargo trailers for their RZRs and CanAms and they're very happy with their setups. We love our setup too, but it's not for everyone (44' fifth-wheel toy hauler). We sure love our garage model though since it gives us so much living area and hauling room for the CanAm while we're driving and a nice big bedroom/mud-room once we get to camp.

I don't have a good suggestion for you besides a cargo trailer. All I know is that I've camped with literally 100s of OHV families and seen just about every setup imaginable, but never one like you describe. I have to think that if it were a viable option I would have seen someone with it by now.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
rdh2230 wrote:
I would like to build a bracket on the back of a regular travel trailer that my front wheels would sit in. Then use a dolly or build free wheeling hubs that would attach to the back hubs of the side by side and put a set of small highway tires on it and transport.

On the highway it *might* work, but it would fall off the first time you turned a corner, like getting onto the highway.

The bracket on the back of the TT would have to pivot the same amount as the rear dolly or the increase / decrease in spacing front to back would toss it out of the wheel cups.

It would also mean youโ€™d be illegal in about half the States if you travel very far.

dedmiston
What's your SxS? Is it a small RZR or a larger CanAm? I think either one would be too heavy to perch the front end on your moho's bumper. I'm no physicist, but the downward force of the SxS's front end and the rearward force of towing its rear end would pull your bumper apart.

Why don't you want a trailer? Plenty of friends in our camps have cargo trailers for their RZRs and CanAms and they're very happy with their setups. We love our setup too, but it's not for everyone (44' fifth-wheel toy hauler). We sure love our garage model though since it gives us so much living area and hauling room for the CanAm while we're driving and a nice big bedroom/mud-room once we get to camp.

I don't have a good suggestion for you besides a cargo trailer. All I know is that I've camped with literally 100s of OHV families and seen just about every setup imaginable, but never one like you describe. I have to think that if it were a viable option I would have seen someone with it by now.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Freedom hauler/Idaho Tote

Take a look at this.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Not advisable. We would winter in the Phoenix area for several years, and I would pull our 36 ft travel trailer with my F350 dually while my wife would follow behind in her expedition. She would pull a 16 ft flatbed with our side by side and one ATV on it while the bed of my pickup truck head a second ATV on it. A good way to move these things down the road, but I understand most people would not be interested and doing that for a short trip.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the front wheels secured to the bumper, the rear wheels would have to pivot. There is a company that makes a trailer called a swivelwheel, that does this. I don't think have anything that bid though, as TT bumpers are really flimsy.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thatโ€™s sounds like a horrible idea for I canโ€™t count the number of reasons. Or more accurately wholly impractical and virtually impossible.
Get a toyhaulerโ€ฆ.seriously.