cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sidewall has delaminated near the top -- DIY Repair ???

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Yesterday, I noticed that my fifth wheel sidewall was delaminating near the top. I suspect water has leaked between the roof and the vinyl (?) sidewall. In the next few days, I plan to patch where the roof and sidewall joins with tape and liquid rubber roof coating. Have any of you done this type of repair and how successful were you. Assume I caught the leak in time I do not expect the wood has rotted simply that the glue has got wet and allowed delamination.

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
5 REPLIES 5

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
The fix depends on what caused the delam (sometimes the glue separates because of sun etc .. but usually water), where the delam is located, how big the delam, and how extensive the unseen damage. A picture would really help.
Kevin

mlburst
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info here COMPOSET PRODUCTS L.L.C.
Mike & Joanna
Myrtle Beach SC/Port Charlotte FL
"Any-timers" since Dec 2010
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 Lariat King Ranch CC 6.7L Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
Escapees #99187

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
In the next few days, I plan to patch where the roof and sidewall joins with tape and liquid rubber roof coating.

That is a band aid !

TenOC wrote:
Assume I caught the leak in time I do not expect the wood has rotted simply that the glue has got wet and allowed delamination.

If the wood got wet, it has to dry. The only way to get it to dry is peel off the siding and get some fans to blow on it for a couple of days.

You have a big job ahead of you if you want to make it last another ten yes. Or make it look decent and sell it.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
To repair it correctly, the entire filon sheet needs to be removed. To fix it for now, drill a hole in it small enough to insert spray foam. Then, with trailer next to a wall, put a piece of plywood over the affected area. Use 1x2's to put pressure against the plywood (1x2's against wall and plywood).

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures please
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad