cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soda Crate Moral Dilemma (& Informal Survey)

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
I have a moral dilemma and will go along with whatever the majority reply.

Last week went to the Big City (2 hour drive). Heading back home got a flat on the interstate. While putting on the spare saw what I thought was a milk crate in the ditch. Turned out to be a carry crate for soda (I think 2 liter bottles, not sure, we don't drink the stuff). The name brand is molded into the crate. It's the perfect size & height for the RV's "first step" - something DW & I could very much use.

Hence the dilemma.

Do I keep it?

Do I give it to the soda distributor in the nearby city - who couldn't possibly have lost it?

Do I wait to bring it to the Big City distributor who I assume most likely lost it? Making a special trip to the Big City just for this isn't an option.
146 REPLIES 146

run100
Explorer
Explorer
The company the crate belongs to is probably not the one who tossed it on the side of the road. I agree, a simple phone call to the company should quickly answer what to do with it. They may even suggest a location to drop it off - possibly a store you normally visit anyway.

This makes me think about the amount of work our organization goes through with Unclaimed Property - uncashed checks we've issued. It's not our fault the payee's didn't cash the checks, but still we send them a letter asking if we should reissue the check (law requires we send written notice of the outstanding check). If they say "yes," we void and reissue. Many times, the reissued check isn't cashed either.

But, it doesn't end there, because after a dormancy period, we're required to gather all the information on the outstanding checks into a specific file format and send the file and the money to the state. To top it off, now we're being forced to use a 3rd party to submit the property and it could cost us over $1,000 to escheat unclaimed property to the state. All because the owners won't cash the stupid check. Sometimes doing the right thing is expensive!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hammerhead wrote:
It's easy to find a Coke or Pepsi distributor. Just drop off the crate at a small-town store that sells soda and they will probably hold it for the truck driver. ๐Ÿ™‚

Finding a single-use paper cup from McDonald's is different than finding an item like milk crate or 2-liter crate designed for repeated use.

Better yet when you get to the distributor or small town store grab a couple more crates. They come in really handy. No need to worry about the crate police.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it, nothing immoral about keeping something found on The roadside. As they say "one mans junk is another mans treasure" I have several milk crates that I keep and use in the shop for storage.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner wrote:
The other day, I saw a gallon of lemonaid fall out of the cab of a truck. I stopped and picked it up, but I could not catch up with the truck to return it.

What should I do with it?

Craigslist missed connections

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
The other day, I saw a gallon of lemonaid fall out of the cab of a truck. I stopped and picked it up, but I could not catch up with the truck to return it.

What should I do with it?
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bucky have you seen this word in the dictionary???

HYPOCRISY

If not, look it up. You might understand my comments then! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Crowe, have you seen the new t-shirt?

ALL COMMENTS MATTER
Puma 30RKSS

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
I do see the moral dilemma you speak of and do understand it. But, the crate is abandoned trash on the side of the road. You didn't steal it and I'm assuming you'd be more then willing to return it should the owner request it. Therefore, I'd say it is yours to use until that time.

Incidentally, I probably have at least a dozen of different types of these plastic crates that have been found on the roads or in the trash. Use them for a number of purposes with no guilt at all.

Happy Camping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
How is this thread still alive?

Because we keep posting to it! :S

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know but it is entertaining! and for the most part civil.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

You added another post ๐Ÿ™‚

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
That could turn into a really worthwhile "discussion" as opposed to this one.
It's a freaking soda crate people!

Geez Louise lighten up! What makes YOUR comment so worthwhile? Really, people, a little inanity in one's life is a GOOD thing! Go camping y'all and get some fresh air. Won't be camping but I at least have the common sense to get outside!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
I wonder how many people were getting paid to do a job while typing their response to this moral dilemma?

Ha ha, excellent point!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS