cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Some Florida State Parks Open and Free to Evacuees

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
The Gov. has asked the Florida State Parks not yet impacted by the Hurricane to allow free camping for storm evacuees. Ochlockonee River, officially closed on Reserve America for campground renovations, is open to walk-ins and other panhandle parks are also open. That said, these parks may also have to close according to the trajectory of the storm. We are three miles from Ochlockonee River and we plan to stay until we know more. Best of luck to all of our camping buddies. lizzie
8 REPLIES 8

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
FYI: Three Rivers State Park in Sneads Fl. Had free camping but due to weather heading that way is closing.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
We have stayed in many, many Florida state parks. Most are heavily treed and not a place we would want to stay given the current storm track. During these storms, typically lots of trees come down. Chuck

Agreed! I was camping there in a major storm. We pulled out to get out from under the trees. You're in a Styrofoam box!

With the storm that coming, I'd put it in gear and stop about the time I saw Kentucky racehorses!

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Weds nite, the first day of my evacuation, I stayed at Highland Hammock State Park, Sebring, FL and charges were waived. Very nice park but too treed for a heavy wind storm. The manager said the park would be closing on Friday. Cracker Barrel along the way have also been great stops and now I am at the fairgrounds in Tallahassee with 30/50 amp service and water. Dump station available. Half of the fairgrounds has been turned over as a staging area for FEMA. There has to be 500 ambulances and EMS units parked waiting to find out where they are needed. Last night at the rodeo grounds in Lake City, utility bucket trucks were being staged - bucket trucks as far as you could see. Numerous Nat'l Guard convoys heading east today.
www.putt10.net

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
You do know what happens to trees in hurricane force winds? We have been through 14 named storms so have a pretty good idea. Everyone has to make their own decision as to their safety and that of their property. This is just a consideration. Chuck

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I guess not too many folks are as scared of trees as they are of hurricane force winds and high water. I just left Ochlochonee River SP and it was full, with RV's going into overflow areas. lizzie

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Luckily, I have found a cave to shelter in. I've visited it before, and it is well stocked with everything you need for an event like this.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed in many, many Florida state parks. Most are heavily treed and not a place we would want to stay given the current storm track. During these storms, typically lots of trees come down. Chuck

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck to you too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad