cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

South Dakota pheasant hunting.

Stavie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the RV lifestyle but I am looking to take my adult son and 2 18 yr old grandsons on a hunting trip Oct 15-19 in central South Dakota.

Has anyone done this and if so can you give me any advice?

It would be ideal to just park it next to the area we will be hunting since we don't plan on spending our free time in the bars.

But I'm not finding anything on the net about spots other than regular campgrounds.

I've hunted there once 15 years ago, but we stayed in a hotel.
8 REPLIES 8

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
SD State Parks and Rec Areas If state park or state rec areas don't exist where you want to go, there are lots of other options.

In many communities large and small, look for the bright orange "Rooster Rush" signage. The local bank or bar can suggest where to stay (bankers usually know farmers who allow hunting, too). Many small towns have a muni/county park with camping spots. Motels often have a few RV spots, too. Public lands where hunting is allowed might not have a parking area, leaving hunters to park in the ditch or along the side of a gravel road.

During opener, a lot of small towns have community suppers (full on roast beef dinner and homemade pie for $8), early breakfast and dinner specials at the town café, 5 AM church services, and lodging/camping that is only open during hunting season. There are also fall festivals, craft shows, other events for non-hunters.

We'd be glad to have you in South Dakota! Safe travels!

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/uc/index.php

Try this site.

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Land access will be tough on opening day. We had much success going the 2nd week of the season.

This was about 20 years ago in eastern Montana. The daily limit was 3 and we hunted other species in the afternoon after easily filling our Ring Neck limits. Our dogs saw more birds in a week there than a lifetime of hunting here in the East.

With a short stay like you're proposing, I recommend a pay to hunt area. That way you will not waste much time asking for permission to hunt.

Good luck.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Ummm... season is Oct. 18, 2014 - Jan. 4, 2015
South Dakota GFP
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the small towns in pheasant hunting areas have municipal parks which have RV spaces at little or no cost. Find the towns near your hunting area and check for them.

Also, south of Pierre is the Ft. Pierre National Grassland which you can camp on and hunt from there. Only problem is....so can others!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
I've hunted in South Dakota for 20 years or so now. We hunt around 90 miles north of Pierre on the North Dakota border.

If you are planning on hunting opening weekend on public ground you will have a lot of competition. Bird count is up this year compared to last year, but that is still low for South Dakota.

Most of the small towns have RV parks, and I have never seen one that was full. Hotels will be another story.

I hunt and grew up a little south and east of that area, but I would agree with looking at small town rv parks. Some of them are hidden gems.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've hunted in South Dakota for 20 years or so now. We hunt around 90 miles north of Pierre on the North Dakota border.

If you are planning on hunting opening weekend on public ground you will have a lot of competition. Bird count is up this year compared to last year, but that is still low for South Dakota.

Most of the small towns have RV parks, and I have never seen one that was full. Hotels will be another story.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
When we hunted there we found a lot of farms were on the CRP, Conservation Reserve Program. The way I understand it the farmer has to plant a crop and not harvest it for a number of years and the Gov. pays so much per section per year. Many plant to benefit Ringnecks then charge to hunt the farm. Some even board hunters. I forget what they charged but we limited out. Limit is same as State. If you pay to hunt on their farm they may let you park your rig. I wouldn't doubt some may have provided spaces. My BIL knew locals who told us where to go. Any local bar is a good place for info. They know the farmers. Good luck..
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500