cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SPIDERS coming in thru AC.....Help

PatRenee
Explorer
Explorer
We are new full timers.... there are spiders coming in thru the AC... I have seen several come out of the unit and crawl across ceiling... I killed them.. but how many did I not see.... I want to spray around the unit on the roof... will the chemicals hurt my roof???? What do you experienced folks use..? Thanks....
8 REPLIES 8

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the gasket under the unit has failed, there is no opening between the inside and outside of the A/C unit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
They may be in the ac area but probably come in from gaps and poor sealing underneath. I dont have a belly skirt so I used spray foam to seal numerous places with some being big enough for rats to get in. I also screened the inside of my plastic frig access panel. Look at areas were wires might come from the battery compartment or pipes go to the water heater etc. Seal it up then fog it. Follow the fogger directions.

I also have a couple spots where my slide seals meet the floor that I stuff a small piece of fiberglass insulation in after setting up. I also have a 2 gallon sprayer that I use underneath and around the wheels and jacks. I also use the sprayer inside the base cabinets, closets, behind couch and under dinette seats etc. Ive seen spiders, snakes, and mice running from the campground when we roll in.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Better check under the cover of the AC unit to find out where they are coming in at. They will come when the lights are out. They like the dark.Beware tonight- here they come.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
PAT - After yaking with RoyF and looking at some additional articles from google search I think I am convinced now that generally inspects and mud daubers can't get past the bottom tray you see when you take off the top A/C Shroud...

Google says this...

"Cover the A/C- The upper unit of a rooftop air is protected by a plastic shroud that often has ventilation holes in it for proper airflow. By way of the design, there is plenty of room for insects or rodents to find there way into the upper workings of the air conditioner. Although there is generally no way for them to penetrate the interior through the upper portion, much damage can be done by wires getting chewed or nests being built. This is also a favorite hideout for mud daubers. "

I have not seen spiders in my 5th wheel but have seem Dirt Dobbers and plenty of Lady Bugs... Like I was telling RoyF maybe they are getting in somewhere else...

The bottom tray of roof A/C is quite visible when you remove the shroud and I have removed mine on a few occasions and removed plenty of mud daubers nests etc...

Apparently this floor area shown here is sealed from the 14-inch hole where the intake and outlet air is developed like RoyF explained...

If I found spiders or mud daubers in this area I would do something to get them cleaned out however....

Your spiders may be getting into the A/C ceiling ducts cut outs in the foam between the ceiling and the roof from somewhere else. Definitely another place to look... Drop your A/C vents in the ceiling to look...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a neat side view pictorial of the Roof Mounted A/C unit

I imagine insects can crawl into the upper housing small louvered vent areas...

Good place to inspect for them anyhow...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that bugs come in from the roof. The AC is sealed on the outside (otherwise water would leak in during a rain). The only spider that I worry about is the Brown Recluse, and they are unlikely to be seen crawling on a ceiling. But if you want to get rid of spiders in the AC, you should be able to remove the inside cover and spray with some insecticide. But allow plenty of time for it to evaporate before running the AC again.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably should look under the A/C cover on the roof and see what lives there... Its probably a nice home for spiders, wasps, and lady bugs... That area uses a large 14-inch square seal is designed to capture water and not let it come into the living area of the trailer. The water has a good run-off path on top of the trailer...

Also in my 5th wheel I have a air conditioner duct that is cut into the ceiling foam that runs from one end of the trailer to the other. That too could be a nice home for insects... Drop down some of the A/C vents and take a look see...

The only other place I have seen bugs and things is around the Fridge vent roof area...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Plan a day away and bomb the place.