cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spring break suggestions in southeast?

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a week-long getaway in mid-April. We'd like to go no more than a day's drive south of Cincinnati and hoping to get some early warm weather.

Our preferences are to find a spot to park for the week and do day trips. Not really interested in tourist traps or pure nature, but we like to do museums, historical sites, places of architectural interest, factory/business tours, and so on. Not into beach, golf, or just sitting around the RV. Hobbies are woodworking and sewing/quilting if there is anything of that interest in the area that would be great.

Empty nesters in a travel trailer.
8 REPLIES 8

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Chickamauga is a must see especially if a relative was there. It will take a good day to see everything assuming the weather cooperates. Check their website to see if the rangers are doing any programs you can attend.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nashville would work for me. With the weather we are having this year, it could very well be a full days drive on slick roads. Leaving Nashville for Detroit one winter day, barely got past Cincy before stopped by darkness and ice.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking 400 miles or so. St. Louis, Atlanta, Central NC all fit in that circle.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
How far is a day's drive? It varies from one person to another.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, but we did the Corvette thing last fall. I also plan to take a trip toward western Tennessee and see some of the battlegrounds that my great-grandfather fought in during the civil war -- Chicamauga and Chattanooga in particular. But probably not this trip as I need to do some more research on his unit.

sdianel wrote:
I would head toward Nashville and pick up the Natchez Trace parkway just south of Nashville. Drive the Natchez Trace down to Natchez MS the southern end.
Stop in Bowling Green KY and take the Corvette Cadillac factory tour and museum. If you like caves, stop at Mammoth Cave. For this stop we like Cave Country RV Park.
Campgrounds: Davis Lake Campground off the Natchez Trace info at www.recreation.gov 2. Across the river from Natchez MS in Vidalia LA is River View RV Park on the Mississippi River. Drive over to Natchez along the river and see the old Victorian homes. Go see the cemetery. They have night "ghost" tours with people in period dress. Frogmore Cotton Plantation and Gin is near Ferriday LA. There is a large visitor center in Natchez for more info about the area. It will take 2 days to get to Natchez but the drive is so beautiful and there are stops along the way where you can see the original trail.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would head toward Nashville and pick up the Natchez Trace parkway just south of Nashville. Drive the Natchez Trace down to Natchez MS the southern end.
Stop in Bowling Green KY and take the Corvette Cadillac factory tour and museum. If you like caves, stop at Mammoth Cave. For this stop we like Cave Country RV Park.
Campgrounds: Davis Lake Campground off the Natchez Trace info at www.recreation.gov 2. Across the river from Natchez MS in Vidalia LA is River View RV Park on the Mississippi River. Drive over to Natchez along the river and see the old Victorian homes. Go see the cemetery. They have night "ghost" tours with people in period dress. Frogmore Cotton Plantation and Gin is near Ferriday LA. There is a large visitor center in Natchez for more info about the area. It will take 2 days to get to Natchez but the drive is so beautiful and there are stops along the way where you can see the original trail.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Head over to the Blue Ridge Mountains and explore the parkway. Lot's of great country to see.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We will be travelling the same time with our grandson for his spring break. We live in southern Kentucky and usually drive down to Florida for the week to escape the still rather cool weather. You might have some decently warm days but there will likely be cool nights travelling a short distance from Cincy. I can make the drive from our home to Orlando in about 13 hours in our MH.