cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange RV wiring.....

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one for you...While doing some solar work on my friends brand new $50,000 Winnebago trailer I found these three Auto Reset circuit breakers mounted on the side of the frame rail. Can't believe how bad this is. 24" of #4 wire with no protection at the battery. Two 30a CBs tied together with a piece of copper strap that feed through another 30a CB. One wire (Green) that is connected to CB2 input, but because CB2 gets its feed through CB1, it is protected by CB1...(I labeled "no protection", but it is protected by CB1).....I have no idea what any of the three wires connected to CB2 or CB3 are feeding. Spent hours trying to figure it out. There is no current flowing through them with a clamp amp meter no matter what we turn on in the camper. All these wires are only 12g.......Comments?

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
8 REPLIES 8

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
"and #4 copper will carry a lot of amperage. "

EXACTLY, and when it chaffs on the chassis what is going to give...the #4 wire? The battery? I want a fuse right at the battery......No other way!
#4 thhn has a lot of insulation, It would take a long time to rub through if ever. And most wiring I have seen running under an RV is in a loom which gives it even more protection.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
The one with "0 protect" is probably the feed to the trailer emergency breakaway switch. This should NOT be fused.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
"and #4 copper will carry a lot of amperage. "

EXACTLY, and when it chaffs on the chassis what is going to give...the #4 wire? The battery? I want a fuse right at the battery......No other way!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can we get a picture? It's unclear what is intended as wires and what are leader lines pointing things out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
If I am reading this correctly, having no protection from the battery to the first circuit breaker with 2 ft of #4 wire is no big deal. The wire coming from the pole into your home has no protection either. It's a short run and #4 copper will carry a lot of amperage. As to your other questions,I don't know.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Can you post an actual photo of those breakers and wiring?

And edit the picture above to a width of 450?

tbr2015
Explorer
Explorer
For their motorhomes, they provide wiring diagrams and wire identification charts. According to that, CB is for IGNITION SWITCH START SOURCE. Which doesn't make sense in a trailer. Not sure if there is connection between trailer and motorhome wiring identification. They all have some type of code on them. Here is the web site: https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files/Winnebago/Resources/Diagram/Wiring.htm Also, their support line will get the information for you sometimes.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Info for posting your pictures.

Photo posting help