cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban 3burner/stove combo

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this should've gone in the food/cooking recipe area or somewhere else so I can move it if needed. I recently bought a travel trailer a few weeks ago with a Suburban 3 burner (with twist burner spark)/ oven combo and have had nothing but trouble with it. The front burner sets off an alarm everytime...even just with a tea kettle on top. I am guessing this is because the overhead range doesn't extend far enough. The back left one will occassionally set it off as well. It takes for friggin ever to cook stuff on the burners. I wonder if the grate is too high. Even trying to cook a single egg in one of those mini 1 egg sized cast irons takes easily 7-10minutes. I have never seen a slower burner in my life. It takes 10-15 minutes to get a cup of water to boil. Finally I have only used to oven once so far but it smoked big time. From what I can tell you basically never want to put it over 350 (when I dialed it down from 400 I could instantly tell the difference) and even though I was able to cook my pizza it was great other than 2 (out of 6 the way I cut it)pieces were black on bottom but perfect on top. I am guessing these 2 bottom burnt peices are what smoked out my camper so bad. Does anyone have experience with this stove? I suppose I should know to rotate the pizza every 5 minutes or something like that...any input would help. So far I am of the opinion that this burner/oven combo is fairly worthless. Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
Aha a breakthrough. There were 2 locks on the outside door. The pop open (no rotating). Only minor inconvieniance is I probably need to close it when not in use so not to let cold air in. It was 8 degrees last night.

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't checked the vent door. Good suggestions.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We have had no trouble with ours and it is in a 2017 MH. Our previous TC had one as well and there were no problems. We use our stove every day and the oven often.

Our smoke alarm recently went off-just a little sensitive. Ours has a button to shut it off temporarily.

In our oven we use one of those no burn cookie sheets instead of the pizza stone.

There may be an installation issue in your case.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you're talking about the smoke detector? Mine also alarms nearly every time I use the cook top. I'm well trained now and know to remove the detector from the ceiling while cooking. If yours is hardwired that may be a challenge. However, they do make scrunchy type plastic covers for jars, that would fit nicely over the alarm. Strictly only when cooking of course. :B
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that when a stove or oven is first used you can get some burn off of oils used in making the thing.. but only the 1st time

One thing many forget,,, the range hood is vented to the outside but there is a "Door" often outside (BUT NOT ALWAYS) that needs to be "unlocked"

On the outside door or flapper if you like there are two cam locks one on either sidek they have to be rotated out so as to let the flapper flap

On mine the flapper is INSIDE and there is a spring up under the hood you have to PULL OUT to unlock it

If it's locked closed it wont' exhaust.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
atleif wrote:
Haven't been venting other than the range fan until the alarms go off (usually only takes a minute lol ). Cold outside, got 7 or 8 inches of snow today. I will probably be in Prineville in June but could probably make a trip :).

When you have the range hood fan on is the flapper outside opening? Mine had two little catches holding it shut.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
atleif wrote:
Not sure if this should've gone in the food/cooking recipe area or somewhere else so I can move it if needed. I recently bought a travel trailer a few weeks ago with a Suburban 3 burner (with twist burner spark)/ oven combo and have had nothing but trouble with it. The front burner sets off an alarm everytime...even just with a tea kettle on top. I am guessing this is because the overhead range doesn't extend far enough. The back left one will occassionally set it off as well. It takes for friggin ever to cook stuff on the burners. I wonder if the grate is too high. Even trying to cook a single egg in one of those mini 1 egg sized cast irons takes easily 7-10minutes. I have never seen a slower burner in my life. It takes 10-15 minutes to get a cup of water to boil. Finally I have only used to oven once so far but it smoked big time. From what I can tell you basically never want to put it over 350 (when I dialed it down from 400 I could instantly tell the difference) and even though I was able to cook my pizza it was great other than 2 (out of 6 the way I cut it)pieces were black on bottom but perfect on top. I am guessing these 2 bottom burnt peices are what smoked out my camper so bad. Does anyone have experience with this stove? I suppose I should know to rotate the pizza every 5 minutes or something like that...any input would help. So far I am of the opinion that this burner/oven combo is fairly worthless. Thanks in advance.

The burners should not be taking forever to cook stuff . If it is new and under warentee I would go back to the dealer and ask what the problem is. Maybe a gas line got pinched off during installation or something.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brand new RV

Crank oven up to 450*F and let it BURN OFF manufacturing oils etc.
Run it for couple hours.

Pizza stone or even an unglazed terra cotta tile piece laid on top of oven bottom
It will help even out heat disbursement from oven burner

Pre-heating of oven is critical to good cooking results
And get an oven temp gauge......numbers on oven knob are 'guesstimates'
If within 25*F they are deemed accurate
So you need to know what temp oven really is....use oven thermometer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
And like any gas appliance there will be some burn off of paint and oils from new. Be sure to vent your trailer for a few days. You may find that once the burn off is completed no more issues with the alarms.

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking thru stuff in the owners manual packet and it says to allow for an "adjustment period" when using the oven the first time. That things might not cook as expected at first. For all that is worth.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
We will be hosting Lapine June and July.

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been venting other than the range fan until the alarms go off (usually only takes a minute lol ). Cold outside, got 7 or 8 inches of snow today. I will probably be in Prineville in June but could probably make a trip :).

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Come out to LaPine in June, will be glad to help you out. Are you venting the trailer, especially during cooking?

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have had the fan on. but it doesn't extend over the front burner so it seems that the front one doesn't vent thru there. Interesting about the holes. I had the pizza on the grate which was on the lowest slot of 3 you could have it. Maybe if I move the grate up a slot or 2 it will have better results.