cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tank Treatments

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
After years of discussion, and the general conclusion that Rid-X type treatments are not valid for RV holding tank use, the maker of Rid-X is now advertising a product FOR RV use!

I guess they want to get in on the RV market.

Here is a link: Tank Treatment
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006
17 REPLIES 17

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
If you go to Rid-X site under FAQ they don't recommend it for RV use. Some say that the micro organisms that dissolve the solid wastes also will dissolve the rubber seals over continued use.
--snip--

The topic in this thread is about the NEW product that was developed specifically for RVs.

Rid-X hasn't updated their website yet.

However, they have been giving their RV product plenty of "air time" in the form of commercials on TV.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you go to Rid-X site under FAQ they don't recommend it for RV use. Some say that the micro organisms that dissolve the solid wastes also will dissolve the rubber seals over continued use. I never used anything but water and at the end of the year dish washing detergent and a 3/4 full tank and a long ride home, then dump before storing for the winter. If you are concerned about a build up you can open the toilet valve after final dumping and turn on the fantastic fan with all windows closed and if no odor is detected your tank is clean.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tank chemicals fall into a few categories, Rid-Ex is not in any of them (It is not a chemical, it is a Biological and will be covered next "Chapter"

Preservatives, these often contain Formaldehyde and in some places if you are found to have them in your RV you may be ask to ... park elsewhere

Deodorants,, Really not all that effective.

Sensor Cleaners Same as the above but with a bit of table salt added.. Yes, that's all, just table salt, do nothing to clean the sensors I might add.

Next Chapter (Did I mention they are short)

Biologicals: This includes Rid-Ex, and other Waste Digesters.

The problem with these products is they are slow acting.. I do, occasionally, use one when I know it will be at least 2 weeks between dumps (And living alone, I normally dump at the end of each campground visit (2 weeks) in the summer and in the winter it is 1 week/2week/1week/2week pattern)

These may actually clean a sensor on rare occasions. These are the ONLY Tank additives I suggest and like I said then only if you can go 2 weeks or more between dumps.

Otherwise. Water, Just plain water.

STINK: First, I have found Gray water is way worse than Black.

Second: You may have seen the ads for the chemicals showing the stinky rig.. Well, I managed to be that rig one time.. Turns out I had left the gray valve open and sewer gases were backing up into the tanks.. Closed the valve and away went the stink. Like magic.

One other time we had that problem, This time in an office building... People were complaining about the stink in the men's room.

I poured a quart of water down each floor drain,, Stink was gone an hour later.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
I did find it on Amazon, however there are no reviews yet...
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
ummmm, has anyone else clicked the Buy Now tab?

That's very interesting! It seems nobody sells the stuff (Amazon shows up as an "online retailer" for the other product)!
Also, if you go to the bottom of the page and click on "Ingredients and MSDS", there is NO MSDS listed for the RV product!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
ummmm, has anyone else clicked the Buy Now tab?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
it is mindboggling that anyone thought this stuff was worthwhile to begin with, or any other similar products out thereโ€ฆ
the only product ever needed is waterโ€ฆ

The common term used here seems to be "tank chemicals" and I guess that
could mean just about anything. We use a tank deodorant and mind-boggling or not I assure you it works.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried a lot of things including using a lot of water. I finally discovered that I could build a pyramid using a lot of water, and chemical. Dealer took my new trailer back as we were having flushing problems, due to the pyramid that formed in about 1 month. He took Unique Digest it, and with an over night soak, it would then clear out. Ive been using this product ever since and it does a great job of getting rid of all waste. I see now way I can get by with just water.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Our holding tanks aren't septic systems but we are often dumping them into someone elses septic system.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I use a chemical is in the hottest part of summer. Tanks will get sour in a hurry when it's 100 degrees out.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
it is mindboggling that anyone thought this stuff was worthwhile to begin with, or any other similar products out thereโ€ฆ
the only product ever needed is waterโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We dump our black every four days, on average.

I also have to question just how much impact, or much good, the ingredients could do in such a short time?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Just above the 'Buy it Now' link on the advertisement, it states for tanks up to 1500 gallons.
That doesn't sound like a RV product to me.

It also states it is for marine use. It's in liquid form so you can add an ounce at a time. I'll wait for reviews before buying it.
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Just above the 'Buy it Now' link on the advertisement, it states for tanks up to 1500 gallons.

That doesn't sound like a RV product to me.